Ploenchit Fair

It's time for Ploenchit Fair again, which the shadowy Siam Sam really likes and tries not to miss. Saturday, November 23. Starts at...What? 10:00 AM? Not at the British Embassy anymore, moved after the 9/11 attacks last year. Will be at the same venue as last year, Suan Amphon, on Royal Plaza. Some didn't like the new location, but I thought it was good. Clearly there's room for it to grow now, and it can run later than when it was on the Embassy grounds.

There will be a free shuttlebus service from and to the Phaya Thai Skytrain Station.

It's been an annual event for about 40 years or so. Until last year, it was always held at the British Embassy. It re-creates a British Country Fair. All proceeds go to charity. A good party, lots of food and drink. Music. Stuff to do. Stuff for the rugrats. Admission fee, but not sure how much; believe it went up last year, but USED to be 50 baht. Maybe 100 baht last year? The wife and I always have a great time there.

I remember when it was held at the British Embassy, it shut down around 17:00 or 18:00 then, and if I went to Nana Plaza afterward, a short distance away, I would always see loads of the British volunteers at the event, all still wearing their Ploenchit Fair attire, getting snockered after a hard day's work. (Most of them seemed to come from the bottle-draw game; I'm sure some of you know which game I mean :) .)

Prices overall were up last year, and I believe that was explained by a rather extortionate charge for electricity from the government agency that controls the field that is the new location. It was still a blast, though.

One perennial problem: The port-a-Potties all fill up too quickly, and there are never any arrangements to have them emptied.

Should be interesting what they have in store for security, It will probably be the biggest bomb threat event in Thailand. yes it is an amazing event.. Fish and chips and great music all night long.. I am usually the fool at the front jumping up and down making a fool out of myself while my wife laughs her ass off at me. But may call it a miss if the security is a lacks as last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Says Siam Sam:

It's been an annual event for about 40 years or so. Until last year, it was always held at the British Embassy. It re-creates a British Country Fair. All proceeds go to charity.

Not quite correct. While it's true that the bigger stalls (older long established ones) do give every baht collected to charity. A lot of the smaller stalls pay 6,000 Baht for site rental and they keep what they make.

I suspect a lot of those stalls won't even have covered their 6,000 Baht what with the dismal weather and people unwilling to venture into the 'swamp' to browse their wares.

Archived