Baht Buses and Motorcyle Taxi's

zanemay

yeah pattaya baht buses pretty much boils down to the spirit of thailand: dual pricing or ripoffs as die hard cheap charlies would put it. I can relate to the fact that most farangs can afford the double price as most thais, but as the prices most other places are the same for all it seems a bit odd...

still I think I got my little mystery sorted as I've lately gotten quoted 15bt as the fare for me & a TG when she paid? but that now makes sense as 10bt for me the farang & 5bt for her the native even she may be isaan or lao/khmer :)

most drivers though seems perfectly happy with the 5bt for the farang especially during the day & if the bus is crowded!

hey where is the fight for your baht guy in this thread?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was in Pattaya this year, I always paid 5B, even the Pattaya free magazine they distribute tells you this is the regular fare.

I always have 5B ready, give it to the driver as I step out, and just walk away. Never got called back, once got a 'knowing' grin back.

Asking for the price of the ride is a dead giveaway for bill padding :)

BTW This is only for 'short' rides, from N Pattaya to Jomtien Beach, expect to pay 10.

*JD*

When I was in Pattaya, I would sometimes ask Thais about the reason for the dual pricing on the Baht bus. They would say something like 'farang have more money than Thai'. My standard reply to this is: 'how much would Khun Thaksin (Shinawatra, the Thai Prime Minister) pay if he take the Baht bus?' I explain that Mr. Thaksin has quite a bit more money than me. At this point, they change the subject or pretend not to understand me.

Harlequin

"How does the baht bus system work?"

Not even the locals know the answer to this one. Nobody knows the route that the baht bus is going to take, you have to stop them and ask.

You see the Thais doing this all the time.

Always have the right money for them. Just put a 5 baht coin in the drivers hand and walk away.

Yep, I agree. I know they want/expect 10 baht for falang. If I go only a few blocks, then I pay 5. I just make sure I have correct change and hand it to them and walk away without looking back to see if it is ok or not. Let them take 5 extra from you then they will. If I go a long way, like from Royal Garden area to Big C, then I pay 10 baht. 5 baht doesn't mean you get on a baht bus and go round and round the circuit as if anyone would want to.

ZMAN Z28

yeah well TIT. some drivers would comply & give back correct change on 10bt or 20bt note, but more often than not requires a bit of hassle. agree handing 5bt & put on a knowing smile or simply walk away is a good way, but most drivers at night would make a scene...

these days I don't really bother too much as I'm past my backpacker cheap charlie days!

Hell some guys I'm sure would go out of their way not to pay 1bt too much for transport or NEVER considering tipping a taxi driver, but would easily tip 5-10-20bt in a gogo bar etc. why would that be???

Keep things in perspective :)

"hey where is the fight for your baht guy in this thread?"

Here I am...and I was the originator of the thread if you noticed. I have taken it all in and appreciate the responses.

Even Mr. Fight-for Your-Baht is willing to pay 10 baht for a baht bus ride of a fair distance or for a prime route. If I go a short distance or go on a non-prime route and want to pay 5 baht, here is what I do: I ring the buzzer just past where I want to get off. I hand over five baht and walk back away from the direction the "bus" is going. End of story.

Many a time, I have given a driver a 20 baht note and received 15 baht change. Only one time did he keep the 20 and race away. (Ass Hole!)

I very frequently ride from Beach Road to S. Pattaya Road. Since most of the buses turn on 2nd Road and don't go up S. Pattaya Road I have to ask before I get on: "Pahm Wat Chai Moong Krong mai?" (Are you going past Wat Chai Moong Krong?" That is the way you ask if they are going up S. Pattaya Rd instead of turning. I have always found one that is going, although mostly they say no and drive on or sometimes I will be asked for 40 baht and I wave them off. I usually pay 20 baht for this ride when I'm with a Thai lady because I feel I'm getting a little special attention.

I have never had a driver object to me paying 10 baht for myself and 5 for a lady.

One time I was riding with a semi-drunk AH farang who got into a big argument about the 10 baht fare along 2nd Road. He walked away without paying anything (such a dangerous thing to do in Thailand!!) When I got off at Big C I paid 10 baht for him. Surprising, huh!!? Jai dee, mai?

Zane

Archived