Your fav Loy Kratong ?

Goodthaigirl

Mine when I was little. Dad brought us to klong San Saeb. No stage shows, no beauty pagent, no dancing, no loud music, no food stall, no nothing.

It was just the place where people brough their own kratong and prayer, put their kratong on the klong and just watched them float away. They just stood there quietly, wishing their unhappiness would go away with the kratong. Very serene moment, which is hard to find now in Bkk.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not against those activities I mentioned. It's just it's hard to find a quiet place to float your kratong and enjoy the moonlight in bkk.

So, for those of you who have been to the fes many times, which one is your fav and why?

Thanks

picked that up from an old post of mine about Nong Khai:

"I saw Loy Kratong in 91 there. magical, temple at night lighted only by the glow of the moon, monks out to watch a movie with the crowd in the opened night by the river, people dressed up with their little kratongs in their hands, only 2 or 3 light bulbs visible from the other shore (Laos), and the kratongs finally floating wayward in the river, so ephemeral, so etheral. i am a big sucker for festivals, Thailand at its best, I can cry just remembering the beauty, the poise of the women, sometimes the ribaldry of the men, all in the name of sanook, no worry for a fleeting moment, God! I love that country...."

---------------------------

I also remember LK a few days after that in Pattaya. Half of the feminine population had dressed up in traditional garb, they were all looking so proud, so beautiful, well... thai! That was in 91, so i am not sure about this week, but there was so much going on in Pattaya that week-end, on Walking ST, bars and restaurants had LK contests with big floats in front of the establishments, Ta-kraw tournaments elsewhere, agonizingly long beauty contests (i did not die!), zillion of people, wonderful festive atmosphere, I really tried to leave this time to see it this year, and now know i could have done it, but decided to play it safe with my work schedules. Too bad! take pictures for us....

My first Loy Kratong is my favorite.

I missed the first Loy Kratong of my stay in Thailand as I didn't know about the holiday. I didn't have a girlfriend at the time to share it with in any event.

November 95' was the first time I got to experience Loy Kratong. I was living in Kata, Phuket. My girlfriend and I went out to dinner with several Thai friends. Had a great meal at a place in Phuket Town near sappan hin. The food was great, tom yum talay, pla sam rod, goong tieng. We all sat on mats on the ground in the open air restaurant. The sea in the background.

After dinner we packed into a couple of pick-up trucks and headed back to Kata. As we drove we could see people carrying kratongs or releasing them into the sea. My friends told me about the tradition and offered several versions of its origin. It was amazing how they wanted to share this with me. Not like a brief explanation for the confused foreigner but wanting me to share in their culture. It was almost like "see this is the Thai culture you're always asking about." It was a combination of their pride in their culture and their pleasure in having a foreigner wanting to learn about it.

When we got back to Kata it was decided to find a place to buy kratongs. There were several people selling them but the pickings were pretty slim as it was fairly late. We finally found a place that had some nice looking ones. They let you choose various ornaments and different candles to sort of customize your kratong.

After making our purchases it was time to decide where to release the kratongs. We drove over to Karon Beach and began to search for a good spot. At the South end of Karon beach is a large rock outcropping where the On The Rocks restaurant of Marina Cottage resort is located. The restaurant was pretty quiet at this point so we walked and climbed over toward the point.

The thought was to get far enough out that the kratongs would travel away rather than let the surf wash them back onto the beach.

Each couple took their kratong and lit the incense and candle. Prayers were said quietly with the sound of the surf covering what was said. And then the kratongs were released into the sea. Each couple being careful to make sure both people let go at the same time. We sat for a few moments and watched the procession of candle-lit kratongs bobbing out to sea.

One of my goals is to visit Ayuthaya during Loy Kratong. Until then November of 95' remains my favorite.

"The Loy Kratong I haven't been to is the one in Sukhothai, which is supposedly the birthplace of the tradition."

Sukhothai is the most famous spot in Thailand for Loy Krathong, and I hear they really do it up well there (I don't know about this year, though, what with all the flood damage), but actually it's not the birthplace of the tradition. It's an Indian import, adapted to Thailand, but a lot of Thais don't realize it did not originate here. It could be that it made its way to Siam during the Sukhothai Era; I used to know the details, and they escape this old brain right now.

My favorite one was my second one. I don't want to say where it was, but it was way back in the 80's, in a very remote spot that had no electricity. The krathongs were released into a rushing mountain stream. Candles and torches provided a rather magical effect.

I don't enjoy Loy Krathong in Bangkok. Too many idjits running amok with firecrackers. There were firecrackers and fireworks at that second one of mine, too, but on a much smaller, more manageable scale.

Can I jump in? It's just that I've had to sit through so many presentations about Loy Kratong it would be a waste not to pass it on.

In brief.

Given the dependence Central Thai's have on rivers and waterways for transport, agriculture, etc. A ceremony was initiated to pay respect to the 'spirit of the river' Mae Kong Ka (Ganges) to atone for using and befouling the water.

It is also seen as an opportunity to wash away the sins of the past year.

Given the inherently romantic nature of the ceremony, candles on a river at night, a full moon,etc. It has also taken on a courting ritual role.

Guest lazyphil

<<Mine when I was little. Dad brought us to klong San Saeb. No stage shows, no beauty pagent, no dancing, no loud music, no food stall, no nothing >>

Sounds very dull to me!! Its akin to me saying my favorite 'Guy Fawkes' night was with just a bonfire and no fireworks, hotdogs no effigy of Guy Fawkes to burn on the fire. Sounds like something on a presbyterian island off the west coast of Scotland than a Thai festival!

My favorite Loy Kratong was at Pak Kret on the river next to my parent-in-laws house. Actually it was quite low key but had food and music. No beauty pagent :(:(

Archived