Radio Shack in BKK?

daveh

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You want to go to the Banmoh Road area, one block West of Old Siam Plaza. This is the center for electronic parts and PA type systems. There are a large number of shops, spilling onto the sidewalks, in this area selling this type of thing. Best to take taxi to Old Siam Plaza and walk West on the small soi in front of MacDonald's. Many shops there and on other lanes in this area. This is also a major diamond sales area.

If you know what you want you could have a local TV Repair Shop order items for you.

You might want to try some of the larger department stores for something like this. For example, in Emporium Dept. Store the Power Buy, or whatever it is called has some decent prices on electronics like you mention.

I have been looking at these in the US (110 v, unfortunately) in places like Best Buy and they are damn expensive. I was not aware they are made in China though.

Some of the Chinese made portables with the smaller screens are getting down in price to about U.S. $200 online. Walmart etc. There is a Walkman type DVD player without screen at http://www.mp3playerstore.com even has Chinese writing on it. I suspect some of these items may be available somewhere in Bangkok. The trouble with online purchase is that some items may not be in stock and I don't want things to arrive on my porch while overseas.

Thanks for the info, Dave. I was out at Walmart yesterday looking at a Magnavox with a 7" screen, but it was nearly $500.00. It did play virtually everything though (DVD, VCD, MP3, etc.)

Of course it was 110 v rather than 220 v or multi-voltage. I always try to purchase the latter now (like my MD).

Sounds like I should wait until returning to the LOS.

Archived