BKK in Guiness Book - 100K people do aerobic

think_too_mut

Based on the rain that has been around Bangkok today, I doubt that they will come close to the hoped for 100K people.

Many outdoor events today were impacted by the weather: rugby, Asian soccer, Ploenchit Fair, M-150 concert, etc. Traffic has been especially atrocious along Sukhumvit all day long. Tomorrow is the marathon and hope the weather is a bit better for the runners.

Bangkok did make the GBR for the mass parachute jump on HM the King's 72d birthday a couple of years ago. I forget the actual number now, but the sky over Sanam Luang was filled with the jumpers -- most from other countries. The head of the Pentagon came from the US to jump in respect to the only American-born monarch, so the poor general who commanded the Thai Army had to jump too. They guy was nearly 60, and his wife was watching on the ground in near panic. The general made it down in one piece, though he did come in too fast and twisted his ankle. However, his pride made him refuse to limp as he walked off.

I was coming back from Panthip Plaza maybe a year after that, when the taxi driver pointed at the sky. Jumpers were parachuting off of the Baiyoke Tower! Lord knows how they managed to land in that tiny car park down below, but they all did. That jump got into the GBR for the highest from a manmade building.

So it seems Bangkok is the place for jumping, even for folks who aren't stout. But with the heavy shower we had, I doubt that they made it this time.

Wow...a very precise and detailed descrtiption.

My gf is back from there. Even got interviewed by a (falang) TV crew.

The rain has spoiled the event. However, she's got a shirt (a yellow one with some impressions on it, could not really read), a bag and some other handouts. Very well thought, the organisers deserve a pat.

Hope the weather allows them to achieve the record next time. The logistics seem to be pretty well done.

Who said "Thais are useless"?

Today's Bangkok Post reports that 46,824 registered people exercised for 61 minutes at Sanam Luang yesterday and so Thailand apparently will hold the Guiness Book of World Records for that event.

They are awaiting evaluation of their feat which almost certainly will beat the previous record set by Mexico in 1999 when 36,000 people danced for 60 minutes.

Archived