Danger in relationship in Vietnam?

Problem: I've met quite a few girls in Vietnam that jokingly say they wan to marry me and come back to my home country, but I met this girl at my resort in Mui Ne that seemed differerent, and down to earth. She's kind of reserved and quiet, and when I said I was leaving today, I could see her dissapointment... she was very sad and her parents and brother noticed it as well. Anyhow, I didn't really know she was getting so attached, as we'd just had lots of friendly fun over the past few days. It all happened so quick I didn't get a chance to think until I was on the bus.

Anyhow, I have a week before I need to leave Vietnam, and am wondering if I should head back to spend a few more days with her since it's only a 4 hour ride back. I don't know that I see it going anywhere, but I came to SE Asia on an adventure and am wondering if I should go and see what happens?

Does this only spell TROUBLE?

Most importantly, are there any crazy laws with regards to relationships/sex with foreigners in Vietnam?? I think I read that in Laos it's illegal.... I don't want to get into any binds....

Thanks

"Most importantly, are there any crazy laws with regards to relationships/sex with foreigners in Vietnam?? I think I read that in Laos it's illegal.... I don't want to get into any binds...."

Being with foreigners is kinda looked down on in VietNam by many. I was told its not straightforward if you want to stay at a girls place over time. There might be some special permit or something involved?

Furthermore, hotels are often reluctant to let a local girl stay with a foreigner in the same room. This varies from hotel to hotel, some will require you to book 2 rooms. If its clear that you have a relationship with the girl (check in together and stay more than 1 night), its easier.

Prostitutes are regualary round up in VietNam. They pick up girls found in places after a certain time, and it can cause a lot of problems for students at their school if they are caught.

Cheers!

Just my opinion, but I say don't if you think its not going to go anywhere. She and her family it seems have grown attached to you. She may get the wrong idea. If you have no intention of forming a long relationship with this girl, you may be getting her hopes up high for nothing.

While pining away for someone who has no intention of a long term relationship she could be forgoing relationships that may be good for her.

If you do go back, I would recommend that you are honest about your intentions. She may not care or disregard it, but at least it was said and there can at least be some relief for your conscience if her heart is broken.

Archived