Thai Health Insurance

ABCinBK

Does anyone know the monthly and annual premiums for good health insurance in Thailand? This is for a Thai national living in Ubon Ratchathani.

I read about Blue Cross Blue Shield charging about 40-50,000 baht per year out of BKK about 8 months ago.

I received a quote of 14,000baht per year from a company named AIA (a subsidiary of AIG).

If anyone has any information on medical insurance for these two carriars (AIA, Blue Cross) or other major carriars in Thailand (such as Prudential), I would appreciate some information.

I am looking for both premium costs, as well as how good the benefits really are (do they tend to pay out easily? are there maximum payouts on many different forms of claims, etc?).

ABC

Very few Thai buy health insurance as the government has a system in place for medical care. In many places, especially outside of Bangkok or Chiang Mai, care will probably be better in these government operated facilities than in a private setting. Some jobs provide coverage and expect that it will be a growing field. Although the government has recently started a 30 baht plan that fulfills the needs of many.

BUPA Blue Cross, which has an extensive web site, is by far the choice among expats here and probably also among the Thai. From all account they are well thought of by their customers. Rates vary by age and coverage (many options) but should be reasonable. A price list was posted here but may not have made the change to the new board.

Thanks.

However, are you sure Blue Cross is that good, when it goes beyond normal medical care, to the issues of extreme medical problems ---- I am looking at getting a policy for a 55-69 year old Issaan Thai man who looks more like he is 65-72. My main concerns are the maximum coverage for things like hospitalization, surgery, major problems with heart/lungs/kidneys/intestines.

AIA is charing 14k baht for an annual premium, wheres Blue Cross is charging 40-50k a year in monthly premiums. I looked over the Blue Cross max. payouts and restrictions, and it was pretty low compared to the maximums found in the USA.....many benefits were capped at 50-100k baht.......that just doesn't seem to go a long way when you are seriously sick, does it?

I have never dealt with AIA in Thailand, so I completely in the dark about them.

ABC

However, are you sure Blue Cross is that good,

No. I gave you information based on your general query and what has been stated here and elsewhere.

Now you have given the age do not believe BUPA will insure anyone over 65 based on the policy payment information that was previously posted here so it is probably not an option. But I would confirm first before going elsewhere as they seem to be regarded much higher than others and they have a large range of policies.

I would make sure he is enrolled in the nationwide 30 baht system now.

If you are willing to pay the normal 40,000 baht a month that a good policy in the USA will cost perhaps you can find someone willing to take your cash. But if you want to pay Thai prices you are likely to have much lower limits.

You are aware that a private a/c room in a top government hospital here in Bangkok is only 1,200 baht per day for those paying the full amount (it is pro-rated according to ability to pay for others). Operations are charged only a nominal amount (most under 10,000 baht). Limits are low for a reason. Care is much cheaper here than the USA - even when you use the high priced private hospitals.

Do not claim to be an expert so can only give advise from what I have learned over my years living here and reading other posts. As most Thai do not have insurance and depend on family to help when needed there is not a large choice here.

Archived