Price of oil painting lessons?

maxal

While checking out my Patong surroundings, my eye caught these great paintings at one of the many galleries. I stepped in to take a look and a Thai man came up to chat- the painter. His English was pretty good so I introduced myself. After a few minutes he offered me a beer and got to know more about him and his craft. He was impressed with my knowledge of artists, history, etc. Two artists talking shop. It was great! He's a good family guy who also tells some great jokes. For me, what made the paintings "great" was his color scheme. The man has a great sense of color and of course, with so much competition around, he works very quickly in order to survive. I was amazed. I did buy a small painting from him at a reasonable price. After this first meeting, I managed to stop by his gallery two more times trying not to disrupt ongoing projects. It didn't seem to matter to him. Before I knew it, I met his whole family, introduced me to two very attractive GTG's ;), and he invited me over for dinner. Unfortunately, in the best possible way I could imagine, I told him I was leaving that same day to go back to BKK. He looked bummed. I told him I'd be back on my next trip. I will.

So, I would like to ask him for color mixing lessons. I have been an acrylic painter for many years and have decided to take the step up to oil painting. Good color harmony has always been my weakest point. I want to change that with some lessons.

How much would (or should) 10 days of color mixing lessons costs? I feel like I have nothing go on. How much should I offer, if time permits him? Anything, no matter how brief, would give me some better insight into the art of color.

Anyone have some ideas?

My GTG made a training for two month in oilpainting last year.

She paid just 20 Baht per hour. The course was in a university in Southtailand.

(The course was open for the public not only for students). But for private lessions for a Farang it will cost much more i think.

I looked on another thread the price of private Thai language lessons : 20 hours at Bt 5280, about 250/hour.

I'm not sure however you can learn color. Color combinations is unique to each painter's personality, it's mostly already there, inside. Try to get the bible on colour, "The art of colour" by Johannes Itten, a Bauhaus teacher. He made a interesting experiment with his students. He asked them to paint what was for them the ideal harmony of colours, on a piece of paper divided into squares.

After collecting all the papers, he could tell which student had made which colours ! Also he showed that every combination had a relation to the colours of the face of their author. Very interesting (it's in the book).

I've been often impressed by the painters working in some gallery-shops (like in Pattaya) : some are very skilled and it's a pity they do mostly copies of European painting because it sells.

BTW I'm myself an (non-professional) oil painter.

Azmit,

Great! A fellow painter! Of course, color harmony is not something that is "learned" in ten days. I was thinking maybe his mixing technique is something I haven't tried before- a non-Western technique- to translate my mental images onto canvas. I'm willing to learn. BTW, thanks for the book recommendation. I'm seriously considering this purchase.

Mentor,

The amount of Baht is something to think about. Yes, I'm thinking it will definitely be more money because I'm a Farang. The numbers you gave me serves as a good starting point.

Thanks to both of you.

Says Mentors:

My GTG made a training for two month in oilpainting last year.

She paid just 20 Baht per hour. The course was in a university in Southtailand.

(The course was open for the public not only for students). But for private lessions for a Farang it will cost much more i think.

Most uni courses are partly funded by the government. So, they don't charge the full cost of the courses.

One of the major problem with Thai education financing system.

As a hobby oil painter the best background I had to mixing colours comes from 5 years as a offset printer. I found the tricks I learnt there (And most printers use oil based inks) was invaluable.

Have you been to Bangkok Galleries on Soi 22/20?

Very very nice people, and the artist Wassan (Real Radical, but great painter) exhibits there and the husband of the gallery owner is a painter who teraches as well.

The cost of lessons - well really its about how good the teacher is?

This is not and can't really be compered to USA/Aus ?europe rates as what you really want to compere is his ability!

I'd be willing to pay up to 200 baht an hour, maybe more if he was really really good!

Maybe us wanna be artist should get together?

JB

Thank for the tip, I'll check Bangkok Galleries in January.

[color:"blue"] Maybe us wanna be artist should get together? [/color]

That sounds a great idea.

Maybe we could make a club inside Nanaplaza.com :

" Society for Artistic NUde in Krung thep" (SANUK).

What kind of painting do you do (realistic, abstract) ?

Do you make travel sketches as well ?

Archived