Leasing a Car in Muang thai!!!!

the_numbers

Ok, save me from the sharks if you can.

Short term car lease in the U.S. = you get burned. I am in Thailand for about a year, and would like an automobile, but see leasing as a desireable alternative to buying if only because once I have to leave I can't really spend a few weeks/month trying to sell the car ( I have to go! ).

Has anyone leased? Have any experience? I mean short of just walking in the Volvo dealership next to Asoke. Somebody explain how so many people float around in Benz's. I wouldn't mind playing in that court for kicks.

Oh, and budget.. lets see... for one year.. about 4,000 USD. somewhere over 160K Baht. divided by 12 is about 333 USD a month on a lease...

thanks, and maybe this is the wrong forum since it is mostly plane and tourism discussion.. if so the moderator's discretion is appreciated.

thanks and cheers,

numbers

i think for this amount it will get a bit difficult, as car prices are much much higher in muang thai.

i rent a 2liter japanese car from private source and pay around 500usd a month; i think the deal is not too bad as i checked with all rental car companies i would have to pay 50% more even with the obligation to rent it for 12 months.

Says the_numbers:

Oh, and budget.. lets see... for one year.. about 4,000 USD. somewhere over 160K Baht.

[color:"blue"]

LOL ... are you saying you want to get Benz for your budget????

I don't lease but my friends typically pay around 20K per month (that's 240K baht per year) for Toyota Corolla type of cars with full insurance in BKK. Cool thing is that they deliver and pickup the car to the condo.

[/color]

As Jazz sez; no way.

The cheapest cars here cost 650,000 baht and you have an eye for several million baht cars; but want to pay 13k per month? Nuf said. ::

But seriously, keep asking and learning. Cars are not an item you can get cheap - even though you see a lot of expensive vehicles on the road. Status is very much a priority here so people pay a much larger proportion of income on the car than the Chevy drivers in the USA.

I was kidding about the Benz!!

It was a joke because in Thailand so many people have them, and go home to a dive because it is a status thing. I know you can't do that on my budget... however, would like to locate an individual who might rent a car --

some arrangement. Yeah, but 14-15K Baht. a month is about all I have for a year. Perhaps better just to buy a nice maw-teuh-sai. chai mai? perilous at that, but se la vie.

Thanks for the information, as usual. ::

cheers,

numbers

Would not buy a cycle myself - don't even ride the taxi types.

If you are going to be in Bangkok or other city do you really need to have a car? I gave up driving here years ago as can get a taxi just about anywhere and the cost is much less that a car just sitting around most of the time. Don't have to look for parking place or worry about accidents (had several cycles rear end me when used to drive). Much prefer to lean back and let the driver scream obscenities now.

Archived