Need advice for visa to USA

I was allowed to stay there only 1 week

You were allowed is the key (try not to write, as in your first post, that you were deported as it gives a negative impression) here so you were not in violation of anything and your answer to Straycat tells us as much.

What you need to do is start the finance visa process. You should not be looking for shortcuts or backdoor's. If you have a relationship the finance visa should just be a time delay and not a great problem. Just be sure everything is completed and correct.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much. Today, I just got the docs to translate into English. I didn't know we have to submit so many evidences to INS. I have birth certificate, changing of my name and surname and also my parents' too. One more paper is confirmation of my single status from register office. I have one question to ask, if anyone can tell. I'm not sure if I have to get the house register (I don't know what to call) to translate or not.

My wife entered the US on a Fiance Visa and I can tell you that all (copies of) foreign language documents submitted to the INS must be accompanied by a legally acceptable translation into english language. This means that the translation must be done by an authorized translation service, stamped and signed. There is at least one, maybe more, close to the US Embassy. If you want to save some money there is also a less expensive service kind of across the street from the WTC going toward Pratunam. (My wife likes to use this service because she thinks it's a better idea to have her documents translated two or three times for a lower price than to spend a little more money and have them done once. ::)

I'm not sure if my wife was required to submit her house registration document, but if she was the translation was also required. (Sorry, I can't ask her right now. We are in different hemispheres. :()

BTW, the INS is VERY particular about how your photos are taken. They will give you a whole sheet of paper with written instructions, descriptions and examples of what is acceptable and what is not. I have a large collection of 2X2 photos of my wife that were rejected before she finally got it right. :)

When my former wife went through the process two years ago, the house registration was not required. Maybe that has changed now, I'm not really sure. I do know your birth certificate has to be translated from Thai to English to file for Adjustment of Status once in the US. She did not have to have translations done for her K-1 interview. I suggest you call the consular section of the US Embassy and ask.

Says CondomKing:

My wife entered the US on a Fiance Visa and I can tell you that all (copies of) foreign language documents submitted to the INS must be accompanied by a legally acceptable translation into english language. This means that the translation must be done by an authorized translation service, stamped and signed. There is at least one, maybe more, close to the US Embassy ...

This is not correct. Translations can be done by anyone who is competant in both languages. The translator does not need to be certified or authorized in any way. The person who does the translations simply needs to put a signed statment at the bottom of the translation, or on an attached page, attesting to the fact that they are competent. I do not have a copy of this statement handy, but it can be found on numerous web sites that provide K1 visa information such as Doc Steen or the K1faq.

Says CondomKing:

I'm not sure if my wife was required to submit her house registration document, but if she was the translation was also required. (Sorry, I can't ask her right now. We are in different hemispheres.
:(
)

House registration is not a required item. You will not find it listed anywhere on the checklist of required documents.

Says CondomKing:

BTW, the INS is VERY particular about how your photos are taken. They will give you a whole sheet of paper with written instructions, descriptions and examples of what is acceptable and what is not. I have a large collection of 2X2 photos of my wife that were rejected before she finally got it right.
:)

This is quite correct. The consular section recommends that you use a photo studio located near the embassy to have your pictures taken. I do not know the name or exactly where it is, but I ignored this advice and my wife's photos were also rejected and she was sent to the nearby photo shop to have them re-taken.

Regards, JEff

Says sanukdee:

Yes house registration is not required, except for example, if you didn't have a birth certificate then the house registration along with other documents might be allowed instead.

Thank you for the correction. I completely forgot about the situation where alternative documents are required in lieu of an unavailable birth certificate.

Regards, JEff

"This is not correct. Translations can be done by anyone who is competant in both languages. The translator does not need to be certified or authorized in any way. The person who does the translations simply needs to put a signed statment at the bottom of the translation, or on an attached page, attesting to the fact that they are competent. I do not have a copy of this statement handy, but it can be found on numerous web sites that provide K1 visa information such as Doc Steen or the K1faq."

Yes, well, OK, this may indeed be true and once again, I guess, I have learned something new. Bottom line is that dealing with the US Embassy Staff in Bangkok or, even more so, anyone working for the INS, it sure is an ordeal. ::

Says CondomKing:

Bottom line is that dealing with the US Embassy Staff in Bangkok or, even more so, anyone working for the INS, it sure is an ordeal. ::

I hear you. It can be a confusing process because of the amount of paperwork involved, complicated by trying to accomplish it with a person who has language and cultural differences and is located half-way around the world. This is why I may often seem anal in insisting on the correct use of terminology and language when discussing the visa process, and I am often intolerant of misleading or incorrect information. The process is complex and confusing enough without those who are confused themselves giving advice. While genuinely trying to be helpful, some people actually contribute to making matters worse than they need to be.

Problematic as people may think things are dealing with the consular staff in Bangkok, when it comes to marriage-based visas Bankok is one of the easiest visa sections in the world to deal with. Be thankful that you don't have a Chinese fiancee, for example. It used to take a minimum of 6 months to get a K visa from Guangzhau, and the time now is more like 9-12 months. From what I've been reading on the boards, one can still get a K visa in Bangkok in under 2 months. (I'm talking visa application processing time only, not the preliminaries that one must first go through with the INS.)

Regards, JEff

Archived