Need advice for visa to USA

Make sure to keep all of your paperwork from being turned back in Hawaii and take it to the embassy for your interview. If it says something about being "ordered removed", you will have additional problems If that happened, you can apply for Advance Permission to Reenter right now. Proof your fiance has filed for a K-1 visa for you will help greatly.

If they did what they were supposed to and you were lucky, you Withdrew Your Application for Admission to the U.S. and the INS agreed to let you do that. If that is what happened, no problem for a K-1 visa.

Good luck

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pita1200- I would not worry very much. Your case is not that unusual. I had a Thai friend(US citzen) bring his fiancee back with him to America from Chaig Mai. She had just recieved a tourist VISA in BKK. When the immigration officer in Seattle found out they were engaged, she was sent back to Thailand. He later filled out the K-1 paperwork and it looks as through there will be no problem. The immigration officer wants to make sure a person will leave America when they are suppose to. Someone planning to emigrate to America will have a very diffult time obtaining any type of tourist/student VISA.

Since your purpose was to marry your fiancee you did not have the proper type of visa. You had a B1/B2 visa, which is a strictly for temporary business/vacation. That is why you were stopped in Hawaii. You were NOT deported. You did what is called a "withdrawal of application for admission". This was likely given to you because you stated that your intent was to marry an American citizen and live in the USA. This withdrawal was in lieu of "expedited removal". which carries a 5 year bar which is very hard (if not impossible) to get a waiver for. In the "seizure" of your passport, that was just to ensure that you actually returned for your departure flight.

As to obtaining a visa in the future. You will not be able to get a student visa to take "a few classes". To qualify for a student visa, you will have to be accepted for a full class of studies (more than 20 hours per week) by an accredited school. Your best bet (sorry you will not make the January wedding) is to have your fiancee apply for the K1 visa. The processing time is much shorter than for a CR1 immigrant visa. After you get the K1 visa, you will come to the USA. After being admitted, you will have 90 days to be married and adjust your status to a Conditional Permanent Resident.

I hope this and the other answers you got help you out. If you have any specific Immigration related questions feel free to contact me. Send me a PM and I will give you an email address.

Can you please give me some advice "off the board"? The reason I'd like to keep this off the board is because my identity is not anonymous here and I would like to keep my private life "private". Anyway, it's pretty simple stuff, here it is:

I am about to make an 1-130 application for my 7 year old stepdaughter (petition for alien relative). My wife, who is her mother has already received her permanent resident status.

My lawyer in New York has advised me that if I made the application here in Thailand the process would be quicker than sending the paperwork to the INS office in the US. OK, so when I arrived in Bangkok last week I called INS here and asked them where to submit the papers only to be informed that if I have a US address I must submit the papers in the US. (I do have an address in Thailand but my legal address is in New York.) Do you know if this is true and am I wasting my time by waiting on line at the US Embassy to try to submit them to "Window 10"?

Thanks for any information you can supply me with and have a Happy New Year!

Archived