kreng jai

greedisgood

"She cannot stand how some of her friends in the workplace (fellow Thai ex-pats) will not stand up and speak up "

I think the problem lies not if they speak up it's how they speak up. Believe me the last thing local Thai's want to hear is some uppity "just got back from muang nork" Thai carrying on about how things are done better "nai tarng pratet".

Personally it drives me nuts too. Especially the not too bright talentless ones who think Thailand owes them a life just because they've had a couple years in a University dorm.

Hi,

[color:"red"] think the problem lies not if they speak up it's how they speak up. Believe me the last thing local Thai's want to hear is some uppity "just got back from muang nork" Thai carrying on about how things are done better "nai tarng pratet".

Personally it drives me nuts too. Especially the not too bright talentless ones who think Thailand owes them a life just because they've had a couple years in a University dorm.

[/color]

"Speak up" does not mean in the context what you said above. Speaking up must be done in a way that it is not a threat to the person/s one contradicts.

I am very concious what normal Thais think about the ones who graduate/live from abroad and very concious not to speak in a way that can be interpretted as "showing off" (can be difficult at times).

If ones just complain becuase they think a Thai way is not good enough, it will drive me nuts too.

Sharing ones opinion and trying to get others to concur does take some effort, but if the ones at work realize that you mean well and the intent is to improve what a team is doing, it is IMO, is ok, don't you think?

Jasmine biggrinsanta.gif

[color:"blue"]Straycat, in Thailand, those questions are considered an "ice breaker", just like we talk about weather here in the West. I know that those questions will not be asked with the Thais if these people realize the "class" differences (not intend to soud like a snob here). another question is "Pai nai?" which my husband finds it annoying, me too at times, but I just point a direction and mumble something.[/color]

'Bai nai' [where are you going?], I can handle. I only say 'hello' or something other totally meaningsless or, if it happens in the village, I point and smile (& invite, if not inappropriate). Where are you going?, is a polite question. 'How much you pay', is something different. As you say, they'll not ask 'Mr Sino-Thai' how much he paid for his Benz. It's intrusive. I get the feeling they want to size you up. You will probably not hear the question if you're dressed like a bag-lady or drive an '88 Daihatsu, right? :)

I really don't like the question.

Ok, I can take it if they first pretend to be interested in the thing at hand, take for example my motorcycle, 'how fast?', 'when you buy?' etc, etc....but first thing -- way before 'hello':

WHAT YOU PAY?.

Nah, forget it. I don't like it.

Something for the English teachers to take up on together with the totally non-sanuk, meaningsless and repeated all over Thailand: 'I'm fine, thank you'. :)

Can you sense that it's time for me to go back to Farangland? :) :)

Talk about passing up an opportunity.

When a person asks you the price of something they are presenting you with the opportunity to do something. One you can proudly announce the expensive price you paid for it, showing that you are loaded and can afford this at an expensive price. Or better still you can tell them the price you paid was a real bargain, showing off your substantial bargaining skill and cunning.

Pity, if you sort of ignore the question with a bit of a huff then they are more than likely think 1 It's not yours, 2 You got ripped off, 3 You're anti-social.

markle,

You have a point of course, but:

[color:"blue"]you can proudly announce the expensive price you paid for it[/color]

I don't like, it's not in my nature to brag about what I can afford.

[color:"blue"]Or better still you can tell them the price you paid was a real bargain[/color]

But wouldn't that be lying? :)

-- I'm not ignoring the question but deep inside I'm really annoyed. I don't ask a complete stranger how much he pay for his apartment, how much he earn, what his clothing costs etc etc.... Why? It's none of my business.

That's the benefit of living in a foreign country you have to learn how to adapt to different cultures, you have to learn to accept other ways of thinking and learn how to navigate them. You have to let go of your own set ways of thinking, prejudgices, etc and acknowledge others.

Adapt or die.

Hi,

[color:"red"]I really don't like the question. [/color]

It is ok to tell them that the questions are not "supap"(polite).

I actually prefer people to say that some questions are not polite. Culture are different and people normally think in different ways. I have made many "boo boo" in my life time and if there were no one to point it out, I would have been lost.

[color:"red"] Ok, I can take it if they first pretend to be interested in the thing at hand, take for example my motorcycle, 'how fast?', 'when you buy?' etc, etc....but first thing -- way before 'hello':

[/color]

You will do me and them great favor if you can explain that.

Cheers!

Hi,

[color:"red"] You have to let go of your own set ways of thinking, prejudgices, etc and acknowledge others.

Adapt or die. [/color]

I normally have a problem adjustin in Thailand the first 5 days, still there are complicate things than culture. My Thai family will consider it impolite to ask strangers what they pay for on their possessions. Another thing people ask me every time I am in Thailand is what my salary is.

Some Thais like to brag, I can like a book of the tales I have heard, however I am not one of them (I know I sound smug at times).

I know several women who make $7/hr. (one of them is my cousin) who bragged so much that almost got everyone and my brother convinced that she was rich. My brother did not know my salary so he asked for he wanted to know whether I made as much as $7/hr!

What we make in the States sounds so much comparing to the average salary in Thailand and people tend to forget how much our expenses and tax are.

I hate talking about money anyway.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Says Straycat:

markle,

You have a point of course, but:

[color:"blue"]you can proudly announce the expensive price you paid for it
[/color]

I don't like, it's not in my nature to brag about what I can afford.

[color:"blue"]Or better still you can tell them the price you paid was a real bargain
[/color]

But wouldn't that be lying?
:)

-- I'm not ignoring the question but deep inside I'm really annoyed. I don't ask a complete stranger how much he pay for his apartment, how much he earn, what his clothing costs etc etc.... Why? It's none of my business.

[color:"purple"] I'm surprised that you haven't taken up the Thai way of responding to such annoying questions (from total strangers WAY before 'hello'.

If the question is asked politely and seriously, I might answer it, knowing that in Thailand it is not considered rude.

Other wise I just say "very expensive" or "ten million baht" or some other joking reply. They will get the idea that you don't want to tell them. [/color]

• 3 weeks later...

Archived