“Adverts” for Massage Parlors on Thai TV

Adverts are officially banned from cable programming in Thailand. Although officially banned, when there are station breaks in BBC, CNN, HBO, etc., programming, you often see “information” presented about various hotel chains or Bangkok hospitals. The information is presented in the form of what almost appears to be PowerPoint slides. For example, the name of the hotel chain will appear with a picture of the hotel. This apparently does not count for advertising, but I call it that anyway since that is what it is - bad advertising.

Last week I saw something different: adverts for Bangkok massage parlors. I kid you not.

The first one I noticed was for Emmanuelle’s followed by Honolulu Love Boat. Both of these places offer soapy sudsy massages with nubile young female hydroplaning masseuses.

There may have been more adverts, but I generally don’t pay attention to the adverts so the earlier ones may have slipped by me. The adverts depicted the name of the massage parlors over a picture of the massage parlor's exterior. No interior shots, unfortunately.

Now I think this is great. We are in the middle of the great crack down on social vices, single woman are now banned from bars and condom machines have been ripped out of bars, but what do I see during station breaks in BBC programming: adverts for Emmanuelle’s and Honolulu Love Boat. I love this place. smile.gif" border="0

[ February 17, 2002: Message edited by: Gadfly ]

Gadfly,

I agree with you that those slides shown during the commercials on UBC are the pits. In addition to the hotel slides as you mentioned, they will normally advertise ad infinitum for some upcoming event. Remember the one for those two musicians, Hucky and Whoever? Argh!

I did not see the massage parlor ads, but, like you, find that very interesting.

By the way, UBC has finally received permission to allow pass-through advertising/commercials on their programs so that will put an end to the slideshows and elevator music. Not sure when this will take effect, however.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived