Spouse Visa for Australia

sidsanuk

I wondered if any of you had experience of getting a spouse visa in Bangkok, for Australia. My GF has been living here in Australia with me on a student visa, but we intend to get married in LOS in Feb. I wondered what the processing times were like. ie if we got married on day 1, could we expect to apply for a spouse visa on day two, and get the visa within x days.

Any experiences that you can share would be useful.

As an aside, we had no problem getting (in Bangkok) or renewing (in Australia) the student visa.

Sid

get married in Thailand for sure its a great experience , but when you apply for the spouse visa expect to wait at the minimum 6 months before she will recieve it. That is why you should marry in Australia first then have a renual of vows or traditional thai wedding after. Once married in Australia you can apply for a spouse visa here, whilst you are waiting for it to come through you will be issued with a bridging visa allowing your new wife to stay in Australia.....been there done it, so yes this is what happens.

Great. Thanks for the tip. That sounds like the best approach. Her family are keen for us to tie the knot...for 2 reasons. One...to stop the neighbours gossiping and two so they can get their hands on the Sinsot :-) So I guess we could have the religious ceremony in Thailand and the formal one (legal) here before we go.

Thanks

Sid

My info may be a tad old but....

In 1991 I married my Thai girlfriend at the

Aussie embassy.

Before we could marry we had to put a notice of

intention to marry (that takes 30 days)

In case some one has a problem with us getting married

During that 30 days she got her police and hospital checks done.

After the 30 days we got married by the head guy at he embassy and 3 days later she had her Residency Visa

hope this helps

cheers

khunmi

Hi sidsanuk,

I am interested in your post as my g/f and myself are going to do the spouse visa here in OZ.Do the same rules apply in THAI as in OZ where you must prove that your in a relationship that is more than g/f b/f and must have been living together for at least 12 months. Also to you or Bakkabon, is it essential to get married before appling for this visa?I am of the understanding its not.Is that right?

Whether you aply in Oz or LOS the same rules apply. So yes you have to prove the relationship. You might want to read al the information on the Dima website.

http://www.immi.gov.au

It gets a bit confusing. Best to read through all the stuff a couple of times.

For the Spouse visa, you either have to be married or de facto (ie lived together 12 months or more)

Otherwise it is the fiance visa. Are you applying in Oz or LOS?

Sid

They are good to get advice from so you can assatain what visa,s will suit you.I think you should be able to do it yourself though.there are two options.spouse or fiance.I was quoted over 3000 aus$ for them to do it.Plus your costs for visa.aprox1750aus# and the same again after 2 years for permanent.

Archived