Job Options for Thai wife in Australia

sidsanuk

My GF and I have been living in Sydney for the last 18 months and will get married in LOS in Feb. She is bright, with a business degree, speaks passable English and has just studied catering. Finding that catering (cooking) is too much hard work :-) The idea was that she might one day own a restuarant and bring the family over to work in it :-) Have you seen how many Thai restuarants there are in Sydney LOL

My dilema is this. She needs to get a part time job, to A. not get bored/crazy/lonely sitting at home and B. so that she can earn extra cash to send to family in LOS. She does not want to take my money to send home.

OK, so what is the problem you say. Well, she is not that suited to an office type job, as she gets too stressed out with high workloads and deadlines etc. She is basically a sweet girl who gets 'dumped on' in an office environment. She left her last job in LOS because of that.

So I would like her to get a job that is part time, not too stressful and allows her to meet and mix with people. It would be nice if she could work with or be exposed to other Thai people in Sydney, so that she does not miss out on having Thai friends, culture etc.

I guess I am looking for ideas! She is bright, good with people, good with kids, but she does not want her own :-), but she is a bit nervous about her English skills.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Sid

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ib 13. Bali huh. :-( Not many people going there these days sadly. If I was to move anywhere, it would be to LOS :-) But sadly I have to eat, drive fast cars, and sail luxury yachts LOL and the job that allows me to do that is........in Sydney. Life sucks. But I'm sure we'll end up back in LOS in the long run.

Interesting how my GF has taken to the lifestyle LOL I tease her that she was swapped by accident at birth (ie is really a Thai princess) because she appears so....'to the manor born' LOL

Sid

Fist things first.

What type of visa is she on?

What suburb are you in?

Work:

Plenty of Thai people in sydney..did you go to darling harbour for the festival many many>

Also lots of places to work.

restaurants all over the city and suburbs,my thai wife owns one in the city her sister also works there along with other staff...all thai.

Have her go to local restaurants and put her name down for any jobs that may come up.

Thais have many shops in china town,clothes shops hairdresses,food supplies etc etc.

wonder around china town and she will see the signs put her name down with these.

But make sure visa is in order because in sydney there is almost daily raids on thai restaurants and brothels looking for overstay etc or no work on the visa.

My wife's other sister owns a migration office for thai studets in china town as well she also has many many thai contacs such as tourist people.

PM me if you want contact numbers as a starting point.

Buses of students going on day trips need guides and speak thai(many chinese as well)

Your getting married in LOS in feb i got married in LOS in october my wife's visa is in the system for spouse visa should be approved any day.

Don't forget to do the police check in bkk about 2000.00thb to do in one day.

We did the the whole thing in one day otherwise getting some docs for sydney immigration can take forever..be warned do your homework.

i have someone on the ground in bkk that can help if needed.

You could look at a TAFE course...expensive but when she has the spouse visa the courses are only a few hundred dollars.

As you know thai people gp out of there way to help each other.

i sure know this and the networking that goes on is amazing,the phone goes off like crazy at our place and then the stories fly ..she starts of saying darling....i know someone is in the shit straight away.

anyway..good luck.

Just had another thought.

she could do a bar course only five day course and one day fot the other 2 certificates rsg and gambling.

One course is run by alex beaumont 9262 2095..also has free job placement.

she could do a couple of shifts a week and easily pick up $50 in tips as well.

Great feedback. Thanks. I guess I am a bit new to the Thai scene in Sydney :-)

She is currently on Student Visa. Did an English language course last year and then TAFE commercial cookery this year. Bloody expensive for Foreigh student, like 10 times the local price!

Student visa runs out mid March, so I either have to renew that (she is fed up studying) or get spouse/fiance visa.

I'd certainly apprecaite your tips on the steps etc. Was not aware of the requirements for Police checks etc. I'll PM you.

Thanks

Sid

Archived