ATM denominations ?

Pom_Jao_Choo

If it is possible ? And I would appreciate a confirmation to even this question. But allso anyone willing to offer a walkthrough explanation on how a Ferang might be able to have an ATM dispense funds in denominations other than B1,000

notes ?

Thx for any offerings from a guy too busy in in bar beers ( at last :hubba: :drunk: )

Thx.

I'm not sure I get your question but anyhow, this is how I would answer:

At the ATM do not pick the 'fast cash' option, instead choose 'other' (and 'credit card advance' if you do not have an account in Thailand). Punch in the amount you wish to take out. That's it! I believe 100 baht notes are the smallest denominations you can get. Personally, I always take out 2900, 1900, 900 etc -- since it's a pain in the arse to only have 1000's in Thailand....

Thx for the swift reply. I appreciate you taking the time.

2 more if you have the time ?

1- I am using an ATM card from my North American bank. When I choose the "other" option it never seems to be able to complete the withdrawal not matter which account I choose. If I simply choose fast cash its not a problem. Any idea where I might be messing up? My funds are actually in a checking account don't know if that makes a difference.

2- I see that you are specifying less than 1,000 in your withdrawal amount to get the smaller bills. but is there no way to command the machine to give the full amount in small denominations ?

2 more if you have the time ?

One: you should select "withdrawal" at most atm's if you want an amount other than that provided by "fast cash" and then you will have to select account (current or checking for a checking account) and key in the amount you want (remember that you will still have to make amount below your home bank daily limit). Most atm's will limit one transaction to 20k baht but if they are providing less than 1k bills that limit will be less (15k at ABM and 12.5k at BBL for example). If you are using a debit card be sure not to select credit card by error. Try another bank's atm if you still have troubles as they use different local computer programs and what works with one my not with another. When you find what works try to keep using the same machines.

Two: there is no way to select what type of currency you want AFAIK.

There is an Thai Military Bank (what the Hell is the Army doing running a bank for anyways?) ATM at Phrom Phong Skytrain station (beside Emporium). I used it last summer - it had a sign that said it would dispense 500 Baht notes only. This is OK by me - I used it a few times and it delivered the promised demoninations.

Harlequin

"I believe ??thai farmers??? will issue 500 B notes instead of 1000B."

Differs from ATM to ATM. There's a Thai Farmers Bank ATM on Dinso Road, near Democracy Monument, that does not stock 1000-baht notes (or at least, it didn't use to), but others do.

The suggestions for withdrawing odd numbers are best, but take care that you don't do it more than 3 or 4 times per day trying to get a number of smaller notes; I've had machines warn me before that the card had already been used several times that day, and I was worried it would eat my card if I tried it again! I find 7-Elevens excellent places for breaking large bills without making too major a purchase. though.

hert.gif

• 2 weeks later...

interesting question this.

I always get money from various atm's & most vary what they will dispense. some have smallest notes of 100, while others only stock 1000's! so if you choose to withdraw say 900bt & the atm only stock 1000's clearly you won't succed!

I usually withdraw 9900 & have found that with either visa/cirrus CC/DC it doesn't matter whether you choose savings/checkings/CC. it works in most mascines. just locate your favorite one & stick with it :)

Here in indonesia the atm in the airport only dispensed 20,000's which equals 100bt! took some time to count the lady fees from those notes biggrinsanta.gif

Archived