How expensive is Phuket?

Tiger

I didn't find Phuket much more expensive than Bangkok but if you are used to Pattaya prices it will seem more esp for hotels. Girls and bar fines are about the same and often some real bargains can be had from the bar beers.

RE: Scuba Diving its about the same price as Pattaya ie Bt3-4000 for a days diving (depending on dive site) and Bt12-14,000 for open water course. If you want cheap diving head to the islands of Samui and Tao.

I gave up on Phuket long ago, but I used to find it much cheaper to rent from a car agency than through your hotel. As I recall, the difference was about 50%. Agree on transportation. That's one reason I won't go there anymore, beside remembering what it used to be before it was "improved" by too many hotels and wall to wall beer bars.

I did always find it a good place for food, international and Thai. Just be careful of the Thai restaurants meant for Thais

-- southern food is HOT!

It depend where you go on the island, if you go eat seafood on Taweewong (Beach Road) in Patong you will find that the bill will be on the heavy side, same if you choose a hotel that is right on the beach. If you go to a other place like Karon or Kamala the price will be less to.

Everywhere on the tourist beaten path will be more expensive but on the side of that beaten path there is good deals.

I found a place to go eat seafood that is very cheap and very good and found out that I can't find a deal like that in Bangkok.

There is a lot of place to buy excursion trip for diving or scuba you have to compare prices and you will find good deals.

I do agree that transportation is expensive, I go there every year for a few weeks and I rent a motor bike because is very cheap to rent and you are free to go where and when you want. Be very carefull on the island road lot of tourist lost their life every year and lot of them because they were drunk driving.

A tip for you, check with your hotel if they allow gest because a lot do but if they don't it will be very expensive.

Lot of BG that want to find a guy so the price are good sometime less than Bangkok.

I very like the atmosphere there and I will still going back there on my next trip.

I can't compare with Pataya because I never been there.

Thanks guys,

Can you guys reccomended any good restaurants, car rentals, sport boat rentals, and nice hotels (ie. cottage, suite, or villa) from $100-170. Accommendation can be in Patong, Karon or Kamala. I'm leaving in April and need some tips. [color:"red"] [/color] ::

The better place to go for seafood is a outdoor place at the corner of Bangla road and Rat-U-Thit road right behind the muay Thai on Bangla, very good seafood and very cheap.

For hotels, at the price you mention you can go to almost all the hotels on the island because at this time of year it's low season and most of the hotels are cutting the price in half.

For me I like the Horizon Beach Resort , nice location good room and good service.

I never rent a car there but I saw a lot of small SUV for rent everywhere in Patong. Check for the better price and make sure you have insurance because they don't ask you for one to rent a car and you can put yourself in big trouble if you have a accident.

If you want to see price for renting a car or price for hotel you can go to the South Siam Travel Service web page to compare price, I am not related to them I just use their service in the past and I was satisfied and it's also a good site to have some kind of idea about the prices in Phuket.

The Horizon Beach Resort looks great. Great location, good facilities, one of the best websites I have seen for a Thai hotel. But at 4,000+ baht it is over my budget until the rates drop in February.

I do have a question. It looks like the Horizon caters to western families. Is it guest friendly? If so, is there a "walk of shame?"

Archived