Internet cafes join blacklist

jp1

quote:

Why any sensible, intelligent parent would let an under-18 year old CHILD out after 10pm is beyond me anyway. What's the problem?

Fly,

you are kidding, right? this must be a wind up, right? you have been to Thailand's nightlife areas I assume. I assume you have been hit up by the under 18 year olds offering you all types of services (flowers, photos, gum, cigs, etc...) well past 10 pm. You really think that these children have sensible parents? Are you assuming that these children even have parents that are looking out for them? If the parents are around, they are in the shadows collecting the money or worse yet these children have been sold by poor families into these gangs of beggars or worse. What the hell good is a statement like yours. Yeah, lets make sure the children are not playing video games past 10. Let's make sure they are peddling crap in nana and patpong. At least they will be learning the value of a baht.

Since it is clear that there are going to be under age kids out well past 10 pm in Thailand and every where else in the world, why would you agree with banning them a reasonably safe environ of a internet or video game cafe compared to other choices. Oh but once they turn 18, send the best looking to Nana, Patpong, Soi Cowboy, Pattaya, etc....

I am not quite sure where I am going with this but your statement rubbed wrong. It just seems so naive.

quote:

From what I've seen and read so far on the new government's crackdowns and policies to remodel Thai society to its liking it all seems to lack substance and good planning and forethought. Their priorties are skewed. And most everything they've done so far seems more for show in the media for consumption for the voting public. A quick fix, which usually never truly fixes anything in the long term. Ploys to gain votes. It's all smoke and mirrors really. A facade.

Cent,

It looks like the Thai's at least have fully functioning western style moderen, sound-bite democracy.

BTM,

I know where you are coming from but I also agree with fly. Most parents out there are trying their best to raise their children and not sending them off to sell flowers or chewing gum at Nana. Kicking kids out of Internet cafes at 10pm isn't going to do much good but I think banning the kids from going during school hours wouldn't be a bad idea. If they are out after 10pm their parents know it, if they are there during school they may not. I think calling Fly's comments naive is uncalled for since it is the same response you will get from the majority of Thai parents.

sorry if I came off as too harsh but it broke my heart to see some of these children exposed to things they shouldn't be. I think it would be a good policy to ban underage children from nightlife areas long before worrying about internet cafes. I doubt that these children selling junk or begging are getting much of an education during the day. They seem the most at risk for problems that the Thai government is trying to solve. (drug use, prostitution, etc.) It seems to me that internet cafes should be some where further down on the list of priorities. It sounds like to me something a suburban city council in the bible belt where I live would try. Trying to apply this type of thing to Thialand makes me feel like laughing until it makes me feel like crying. Seeing these children was probably the only moral delemia I had. I at times had to wonder if my presence and money were adding to the problem. I have no problem with adult women deciding work in the nightlife but what do you think is going to happen to these flower sellers and beggars when they get older. What else will they know? How much of a choice do they really have at something different?

Oh one thing I forgot to add. I have an 8 year old son and I can tell you he will not be out past 10 pm on a school night when he is a teenager. It won't be because some government body says so. It will be because I say so. That the only way that type of thing works where I live, is because the parents make it happen. Leave it to the police and they may clear out a hang out but teens left to roam the streets at night will find other trouble.

Cent ... I couldn't agree more ...

In my nearly 2 months in LOS last year, and in talking to MANY types of people of ALL ages ... it is my opinion that the two things the gov't could do to most benefit all of Thailand would be:

1. fund education thru high school for every child

2. totally revamp it's law enforcement system ... elevate the status/pay of it's officers so that they had an abundance of applicants and could weed out the 'bad eggs' ... and jail those who try to "shake down" businesses and individuals ...

Until there is respect for the education and law, Thailand will continue to be mired in hipocracy and corruption and remain a struggling third world culture.

PS - Of course, to do this, requires MAJOR restructuring of it's system of taxation in order to have the funding to make it happen.

Forbidding foreigners to own land is another antiquated law that holds Thailand back.

Again, all in my opinion.

[ February 24, 2002: Message edited by: tc4rob ]

Archived