Upgrades

bushman

Hope you are successful in getting the upgrade. I value my FF miles at .015 cents per mile. Flying coast to coast' it is unusual if you can not buy a ticket for less than $375.00 (.015 x 25000 miles)

The price for an upgrade at 50,000 miles would be $750.00. The difference between an economy fare ticket and a business class ticket is at least $2000.00. Seems like a bargain to me. The trouble is the upgrades are becoming more difficult to obtain.

Thanks

Bush

• 2 weeks later...

Several days ago,I made my reservation from the east coast and was able to upgrade on United--10 months in advance. No problem. Last year,only 10 days latter than this try,no upgrades were available.

I have the feeling that many travelers are leary of making any long term plans using United. I am confident that,even thought they are currently in having problems, that they will

survive. The mileage required to upgrade has increase from 50,000 miles last year to 60,000 this year. Still the best way to us your miles.

Bush

I recently became a Premier Executive (1P) with the UAL rogram. I am wondering if I will have a better chance of getting an upgrade to business class from Narita to Bangkok as compared to premier (2P). Under premier, I only got upgraded once from Narita to Bangkok...

Says kumichan:

I recently became a Premier Executive (1P) with the UAL rogram. I am wondering if I will have a better chance of getting an upgrade to business class from Narita to Bangkok as compared to premier (2P). Under premier, I only got upgraded once from Narita to Bangkok...

Your 1P status will place you ahead of a 2P if you were on a waitlist for an upgrade. You are still behind a 1K though on the waitlist and a higher fare paying passenger.

NRT -BKK is always the toughest upgrade leg to get becuase you have so many fare paying passengers and higher status elites going for the upgrade on a usually sold out flight.

Congratulations on making 1P now you can use any of the STAR lounges in NRT if you were not already a RCC member. I personally love taking a shower at the RCC before arriving in BKK, it is so refreshing after the long flight from the States!

Instead of using miles you could try to obtain some SWU's for your trip. You usually find them for sale on Ebay.

As a 1K you get 6 of these systemwide upgrades a year which can be used on international itin's.

Even I get waitlisted at times for the NRT-BKK leg which really sucks. I rarely use the miles for Intl upgrades, I usually use them for last minute domestic travel in first which can be very expensive if you buy the tickets.

Says bushman:

What are SWU's?? I am only a lowly Premier member but if you book early enough the Narita-BKK is possible. I just did it but 10 months in advance.

Thanks

Bush

SWU=Systemwide Upgrade. The SWU is a certificate that is good for a one way class upgrade on any UA flight domestic or Intl flight. UA provides 6 of these a year to their 1K members. You can also find people who sell them on Ebay in a "white envelope" since they are not permitted for sale by the UAL MP rules.

I wish I could plan my vacation time 10 months in advance but my work schedule does not afford me the luxury. The best I can do is usually 3 months.

Thanks the info. Sounds like a good life for the 1K members.

The trip is not entirely a vacation.Only part of the trip, the remainder is business.

I have been traveling to Asia around the same time each year for a long time so why not plan ahead to get the upgrade. In the past 6-7 months were plenty of time to get the upgrade.

Thanks

Bush

• 2 weeks later...

bgpt,

I agee, need to use the miles sometime. I can't seem to find a R/T flight to BKK using my Northwest miles, but have upgraded to Business using the miles. For me (gold elite), I can still earn miles. Gold give you 100% bonus, 20,000 mile trip with the 20,000 bonus, + miles to book online and check in for the flight online. I think this last upgrade cost me 8,000 miles, plus the cost of the coach ticket. Elite status is obtained only using flight miles and not miles earn. So flying with the upgrades also helps me stay current for elite status.

Archived