Bali

adikgede,

In a former life, I surfed much of the NSW coast as a youngster, and dreamt of Uluwatu's big lefthanders. I was also terrified by the prospect of meeting that reef headfirst.

One of the major complaints from Aussie surfers was that Bali was so crowded. I dont know that the Balinese ever made too much money out of many of them, but some tourists are better than none - are the surfers still coming to the island now that the crowds have departed ? The hardcore 'surf nazi' will go anywhere if the waves are firing - all part of the adventure of finding that perfect wave.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I amagine Bali will always be crowded because its easy to get to. But there are probably hundreds of others places to surf in Indonesia that are great but hard to get to, especially now that its the rainy season and the wholsale looting of the forests, booth snactioned and illegal. We went sailing two weeks ago and had to wait for the tide to go down before we could return as the flood waters were a meter deep on some of the roads we had to pass.

ag

well the 2 times I've asked a taxi to take me to see some girls hotel diyan(as posted on a small sign as you exit the main rd) & you get to this spread out place with various houses & once you sit girls will come from 'every where' to present themselves, but I had to leave a bit sad both times as all girls we're very unattractive :(

About the plane to bkk I'm returning in 2 days. wish I had gone to jkt or pnh instead, where the weather & selection are reportedly better at the moment...

last night I was quoted 400k by the few possible options available in the disco's & the final one was had a killer body so went for it! not too bad really, but I still miss LOS

see ya

ad,

I remember reading of a surf camp in a remote part of Java where the only way in was by boat, and rumour had it that more than one guest had disappeared in the night, presumably taken by a tiger when leaving the sanctuary of the raised huts. Attendance was strictly by invitation, and I was stunned to note that even the Hawaiians in the photo spread were severely burnt by the tropical sun. As someone who inherited pasty white skin from my British forbears, it sent a shiver up my spine ....

I think you might be referring to G-Land(Grajagan)In java on the southeast corner of the island- Its probably hands down the finest left point break in the world. A very complicated reef set=very hollow- fast and sometimes dangerous- I go every year

Amazing wave but pretty much for the hard-core vet or younger guys.

Not totaly remote:

http://www.g-land.com/

Says

12 December 2002

Nusa Dua: 8-10 foot - 4 surfers

13 December 2002

Uluwatu: 5-8 foot - 5 surfers

Kuta Reef: 3-5 foot - 4 surfers @ 7am

Padang: 3-5 foot - 0 surfers

16 December 2002

Uluwatu: 3-4 foot - 12 surfers @ 10am

Kuta Reef: 1-4 foot - 0 surfers

Airport Lefts: 2-3 foot - 3 surfers

Impossibles: 3 foot - 0 surfers @ 12 noon

20 December 2002

Kuta Reef: 4-5 foot - 15 surfers max

Impossibles: 2-5 foot - 0 surfers @ 9:30am

Uluwatu: solid 6 foot plus - 7 surfers

21 December

Kuta Reef: 3-4 foot (3 ft overhead) - 5 surfers

adikgede,

Yet again, you have overwhelmed me with your willingness to supply current, valid info - thanks !

Such perfect waves and so few surfers - and in December no less ! As per the earlier post, I'm sure they are being hassled as soon as they set foot on the beach, and I dont blame the Balinese for trying to survive, but surely getting Ulu at 5-8 feet with 4 other guys would have to make it all worthwhile. Some breaks dont come alive until it gets over the 10 foot mark, but I'd imagine that there is a surfable wave somewhere on the island in almost any prevailing wind etc.

I really miss surfing, but I dont miss the sight of grown men punching one another over 2 foot windslop on some overcrowded beachbreak in Sydney ...

I used to have a house in Nus Dua and know the local ex- pat crew that dominates Nusa. A great wave-breaks a lot like Sunset But best like Ulus and Padang Padang at 3-6-ft sometimes 8 feet Hawaiian- Bali -

(6-16) foot faces And actually those are big hard breaking waves quite heavy I miss it Back!! home in 3 weeks to BKK and then Bali later.

Can't give it upas I've been surfing 36 years.. ugh

Archived