Work attitude of Thais

Tut tut. See what he means. Look at all these Thai women, supposed to be IT project managing, spending all day on an Internet bulletin board... ::

I know of quite a few bar girls who formerly held jobs that had comfortable salaries. It's surely more a question of them seeing something that seems to pay a decent amount for less effort.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says jasmine:

Hi,

[color:"red"

I understand that the minimum wage is still around 100 Baht a day. I feel that if I eat only 20 Baht a day on that wage, still, I could not survive when there are other needs than food.

There will be less prostitution, IMO, if the lower educated people can find decent wage jobs.

Cheers!

Jasmine,

As regards the minimum wage I think that you might have been out of the country a bit too long.

My understanding is that it was recently increased but only by about 4baht per day and is currently around 186 baht per day in Bangkok falling through the provinces to a low of about 135 baht per day.

These numbers might not be exact as it is from memory of the recent newspaper article.

However 100 or 186 it does not detract from the point that you are making

Says bibblies:

Speaking as a developer (i.e. someone who actually
does
something) "Project management" is a handful of nothing and the biggest scam since people were convinced to pay extortionate sums for fancy bottled water in restaurants. ::

And here was me thinking that the only thing that you did was play fantasy football. H

Says phiketpete:

Says bibblies:

Speaking as a developer (i.e. someone who actually
does
something) "Project management" is a handful of nothing and the biggest scam since people were convinced to pay extortionate sums for fancy bottled water in restaurants. ::

And here was me thinking that the only thing that you did was play fantasy football. H

Actually, that's all too true at the moment. In fact, I only contribute to other threads to pass the time while I'm waiting for people to post on the fantasy football thread. :angel:

Guest lazyphil

The Thai restaurant my Mrs works at in the UK has great difficulty in telling the head chef (Thai) what to do, i.e. menu changes, for example not long back the English boss wanted them to do sandwiches with a Thai theme at lunch time but was refused blankly, they pretty much accept it as they can't operate without Thais. My Mrs pretty much is in the middle having to pay attention to the older Thai women who runs the kitchin but not pissing off the boss. What suprised me (to begin with) is that the Mrs brings a huge bag of ginger home to chop up, its a very hectic place and she figures its much easier to do such things watching her Thai movies in the comfort of our home. She doesn't get paid for this in cash for this 'homework' but brings home a curry/tiger prawn dish of some sort most days which pretty much keeps things even when I work out the cost of ingrediants versus her time spent on the ginger.

I run a company here.

All I can say is that the attitude of the workers in this country leaves a lot to be desired.

I am continuesly looking for employees. Any given week I may have 10 to 20 interviews set up. Most of the time only one or two bother to show up for the interview, thou all confirm they will be there on time. Of those two that show up, if I hire one of them there is a good chance they will not show up for their first day of work.

I pay higher than the average to my employees and offer them bonuses and perks that Thai companies do not. Yet I still have not been able to bulid a reliable, quality staff in this country.

Prior to working in Thialnd I worked in other Asian countries. I can tell you this that if I hung a sign out or ran an add looking for staff in China, Hong Kong or Taiwan. I would have more than 100 people wanting the job and showing up to work.....

Why? ::

I sure wish I knew the answer :(

Archived