Quickest way to learn conversational Thai

MadStockBroker

I've noticed that many people from Western Europe speak English, German and their native language. I know that English is taught in schools throughout Europe, but I can only put the prevalence of German down to the strength of their economy and the vast body of scientific and technical work that is only published in German.

I was surprised to hear a Polish twenty-something tell me her opinion of the Germans recently : 'cool'. Time truly heals all wounds - maybe there is hope for the planet yet

Artiew,

until the end of the cold war (1990/91), German was the first or second (after Russian) foreign language in almost all Eastern European nations (incl. the USSR- excl. Rumania). Only since some 10+ years this has changed and English became the first foreign language to learn at school. In most Western European nations German was always language no. 2 or 3.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says Hua Nguu:

I`d say that the next level would be something like:

Phoot thai muan khon thai leey

They're throwing away that one quite easily now too. I'd go for geng, then chat as the main two levels. (I hardly ever get 'chat' unless I speak at about 30 words per minute and happen to get the right conditions of air pressure and humidity, so I cherish it. I walk around holding imaginary jacket lapels for about five minutes when I hear that one. ::)

Hi Bibblies

They're throwing away that one quite easily now too

I guess you are right, that would also explain why someone actually said that to me ::

But especially the word "geng" does really hold much value as many use that to compliment you as soon as you can say hello and thank you.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived