New Years Eve Dinner at Blue Elephant...

dsab

Hi guys,

we came back from good old europe on the 31st of Dec, and were looking forward to enjoy again the cheap BKK prices. On recommendation of some Board Members we booked a table in the Blue Elephant, where we went that evening with 6 people (her parents, her brother, his gf and my honey and me). I had invited them after I called them to make sure that ther is no Set Dinner that evening (did it already before the holiday).

As we arrive I am taken by surprise...there is a set dinner. Ok, can´t be that bad I hought to myself. Menu loks fantastic with some strange things I never even had heard of. All together from Starter till Desert 12 different delicious things. Hmmmh..looks and sounds perfect.

But only untill my gf makes me read the very small part on the bottom of the menu....the price...they charged an incredible 2500 Baht per Person plus Service Charge plus Tax. In the end it worked out to 3000 Baht per person, not included any drinks.

I am not sure, but I couldn´t really enjoy the dinner. Had all the time to think about the fact what I could have done with the 30000 Baht (the amount I paid in the end) instead of going for dinner.

Now I know how it feels if other people enjoy on your cost.

Do you think any thai food in BKK can be worth 3000 per Person ?

Was today at another Thai Restaurant, paid 250 baht each, and enjoyed it almost as much, especially when I had to pay.

Another experience... one day I will learn my lessons..

in upper class thai restaurants in overseas you get easily to the equivalent of 3000 baht per person. but in bangkok? you really have difficulties to get over 500 baht per person even in the most expensive thai restaurants.

on the other hand, there is hardly any four star hotel up, that does not have a compulsory new year eve dinner for 2000 baht up...and probably not better as at the blue elephant.

i was in a very simple but excellent thai restaurant on new year eve and paid under 700 baht for 5 persons...

Oh man, thanks for the price update. I had earmarked this restaurant, but now will definitely pass. If someone reviews a restaurant, they should not just say something like "rather pricey" as in the original Blue Elephant review since that means different things to different people. I have had a meal a little more expensive per head than this in Bangkok, and it was worth it for one time only. You can choose a giant live lobster at seafood palace (at Asoke sky train station) the size of a small pig. Beautifully prepared and will fill up even the biggest lobster lovers. But I actually prefer the atmosphere of cheap outdoor seafood places where you can feed 8 including drinks for 3000 baht. If you exit pantip, turn right and walk about 2 blocks and there is a nice strip of them there. I do recommend at such places to make them itemize the cost of each item as you select to avoid padding.

Sorry about that. I said "rather pricey" because we paid 2500 baht total, for the two of us, including drinks (although my wife does not drink), and there was no set menu on that night. I guess special occasions like New Year's Eve jumps the price just about everywhere, but they should have told you about the set meal on the phone.

Archived