Thais Just Walk Off

Torneyboy

I am involved with a large group of thai people ..all very nice and polite .

Talk with me at dinners/outings etc.

However i notice that most do not say goodbye..they just walk off.

Maybe they have said goodby to my wife without me knowing...not sure.

We see them again..not as if last time.

But strange if not rude ..IMHO

Falang will make a point of saying good by to the host or people they have been with that evening/lunch etc.

Sometimes just 5 or 6 together.. .not as if to many to say see you next week or whatever :dunno:

When i ask her she just says ""Thai people"" not the only time she has used this line.

Any ideas?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a book that says "Thais don't make a big deal out of saying goodbye. Sometimes they just leave without saying anything". So I don't think it has anything to do with being rude, just part of the culture and I've experienced this. They probably wonder why farangs make such a big deal out of good byes.

No..

Many times.

Today in fact...had lunch with the 3 sisters and one sisters long time Thai BF.

We go down stairs after lunch ...wait for one sister in hong narm..he has gone ..sister #2 way down the road ..before the other one comes down ...cant wait 5 seconds to say bye bye.

Picnics....same thing ..but more people....the close nit group all wai etc ...is the fringe people that do not say ger gahn..or bye bye etc.

All nice people ..do not get me wrong..just odd...imo

Even on special nights like birthdays.

Hi LP

Ha ha

No all good friends..have helped many with travel/visa probs etc.

Nothing personal at all..just walk away..somtimes i hear some yelling ger gahn,,,from a long way off .

We will go as a group to the temple and even after 2 hours there they go to the cars ....off they go

Archived