What delicacies do you bring along ?

dvarpala

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dvarpala,

They do have a product in thailand easily available that ressembles mustard a lot.

It comes in a tube and it is a bright green substance.

I can assure you that it will bite you back :)

It goes well with little slices of raw fish sushi style.

Cannot recall the thai name, mayby someone here can?

I have heard it referred to as "Mustard" by thais too.

I am somewhat of an insect snack fan when I go pub crawling in LOS. Most of the BGs like those snacks too and of course they are free to joint in. Sure beats the price of a lady drink ::

I think I have tried just about any insect on that list of yours.

And my favourites are definitely the grasshoppers and the crickets. Takkataen and Jingreed. Actually if you give it a try I think most would like those. They taste kind of like crunchy french fries. However, I only eat them once in a while as you never really know how they collect and kill these critters. DDT or the like?

The waterbeetle/Maeng Dab Dtao has a very hard shell and it`s hard black wings often stick between your teeth. Not a very appealing sight when you wanna look your best. :o

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hua Nguu said:

Hi Dvarpala,

They do have a product in thailand easily available that ressembles mustard a lot.

It comes in a tube and it is a bright green substance.

I can assure you that it will bite you back :)

It goes well with little slices of raw fish sushi style.

Cannot recall the thai name, mayby someone here can?

I have heard it referred to as "Mustard" by thais too.

I am somewhat of an insect snack fan when I go pub crawling in LOS. Most of the BGs like those snacks too and of course they are free to joint in. Sure beats the price of a lady drink ::

I think I have tried just about any insect on that list of yours.

And my favourites are definitely the grasshoppers and the crickets. Takkataen and Jingreed. Actually if you give it a try I think most would like those. They taste kind of like crunchy french fries. However, I only eat them once in a while as you never really know how they collect and kill these critters. DDT or the like?

The waterbeetle/Maeng Dab Dtao has a very hard shell and it`s hard black wings often stick between your teeth. Not a very appealing sight when you wanna look your best. :o

Cheers

Hua Nguu

I think you mean Wasabi...make you cry faster than getting into a taxi heading for BBk airport :D

Hua Nguu said:

And my favourites are definitely the grasshoppers and the crickets. Takkataen and Jingreed. Actually if you give it a try I think most would like those. They taste kind of like crunchy french fries.

OK, next time I'm going to get seriously pissed up and give it another go.:beer: ( Only the grasshoppers, mind - they sound fairly reasonable...)

Mind you, I'll probably end up tossing my cookies in a soi 4 gutter - but at least it'll be a start. ::

well actually it's horseradish

I beg to differ oh master chef. :bow:

Wasabi is actually a rhizome and a member of the mustard family. Unfortunately most of the crap we eat with sushi in the West is really green colored horseradish paste and not true wasabi.

TAXONOMY AND DISTRIBUTION

Wasabi is a member of the Cruciferae or mustard family and is an evergreen crucifer that grows naturally in wet, cool mountain river valleys along stream beds and on river sand bars in Japan. The natural distribution of wasabi ranges from Sakhalin Island (Khokhriakov et al., 1981) north of Hokkaido, the northernmost major Japanese island, to Kyushu, the southernmost major Japanese island.

Two species are found in Japan; Wasabia tenuis the wild species, also known as yuri wasabi, and Wasabia japonica, the cultivated species called swamp wasabi or sawa wasabi (Ohwi, 1984). These two species are distinguished primarily by their rhizome size and color, flowers, and leaf size. W. japonica was also known as Allaria wasabi (Sieb.) Makino.; Cochlearia wasabi (Sieb.); Eutrema wasabi (Sieb.) Maxim.; E. japonica (Miq) Koidz; E. okinosi mensis Takenouchi (Ohwi, 1984); Lunaria japonica Miq.; and W. pungons Malsum. Adachi uses W japonica in his book Wasabi Cultivation (Wasabi Saibai, 1987) as does Oh vi in his Flora of Japan (1984) although some authors still use E. wasabi (Goto et al, 1986ab, 1987; Iwanami et al., 1982).

For a true culinary experience you can get some in the US and Canada from Pacific Farms

:grinyes:

Oh so true, researcher of the arcane. :bow: :bow: :bow::beer:

To be honest i am not sure I have ever had the 'real' stuff ..... but the other is fine by me. Somday we'll have to try and find the 'real' stuff. (Sure as hell ain't going to happen where I live now :banghead:)

Archived