WHAT'S UP WITH Q BAR???

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M-

Us American folk got to stick together... Those tossers from across the pond really do stink it's in their...culture, dress, slums etc... on and on i.e. the air they breath! We wanted something better so a long time ago we jumped ship!

UK= Urinal kin

USA= Usual sexy American!

Next time you see one...offer him some dirt they feel better in it...

SkiBum

ptyrider said

'Have any of you noticed that when a Brit poster mentions the manager of a bar he will inevitably note the manager's nationality if it is American? I just wonder why Brits find that such an item'

oh dear,what am i to do next?.

i have just returned from my first visit to the USA for 11 Years.

i want to write a FR of my Trip and the things i experienced,but can i now?.

i saw things which amazed,pissed me off about Americans.

but i could also say such things about any Country i may visit.

should i not tell of my visit because i may say bad things about Americans?.

after all most People i met were Americans........,but i do have some good things to say.

Americans in my view really do have this view that everyone is against them.

relax,not true and some of us actually like you........

I agree. There are plently of other bars and venues in Bangkok that don't have any dress policy. Q Bar is not one of them. And you would have similiar problems at CM2, Bed, Club Mystique and other places. Diversity is part of the game; it makes Bangkok's nightlife more interesting. This seems to be a case where JJsushi I agree.

The most disturbing thing for me about Q Bar and these places is that most have to close at 1 am, which is ridiculous for a night club or any dancing venue. I just got back from Phuket, and the discos are closing around 3:30 am. They were packed, proving the market appeal of later closing time again. Somebody obviously understood this, and opened up the closing times in Phuket to get tourists back. It is interesting to see now - when times are tough in Phuket - the government reverts to market based policies to help get it back on its feet. If only if we could see the same rationality in Bangkok.

I would agree that there is no need to point out that the guy on the door was an American just as I wouldn't make any distinction between an Englishman or a Welshman [there are huge differences here though ;) ] It may be notable that the guy was a falang rather than a local person.

Skibum's outburst is regrettable because I for one rather enjoy meeting Americans and have had some great times exchanging views on life in general, often with great humour. I won't deny that every nationality is bound to have its share of belligerant, ignorant, parochial xenophobes but there is no need to tar a whole nation with the same brush.

Skibum, I hope I can buy you a drink sometime and convince you that we are not all bad.

I am an American and I have to admit I can see why a lot of people hate us. I don't know how many times I have run into a fellow countrymen at a bar and he makes a complete asshole out of himself. This happens every time I go to LOS. It embarasses me because it reflects on the rest of us Americans.

Of course there are a lot of us that are good people but the few outweigh the many in most peoples' eyes.

sayjann said:

Americans in my view really do have this view that everyone is against them.........

It's probably because:

1. Their culture is generally more optimistic, can-do and self-worshipping than most. Self-deprecation isn't a particularly admired trait, like it is in the UK.

2. It's more insular. People aren't as aware of outside countries as citizens of smaller countries are (mainly because, as a large nation, they don't have to be). Therefore, it's more of a shock when they go outside and find the criticisms that other nationalities (like the UK) are used to.

3. It always annoys when it comes from outside. (I think you'll find this even in yourself. If an Englishman criticises some part of English life, we hardly notice and nod along with it. But if the same sentiment is voiced by, say, a recent immigrant or foreign visitor, it rankles. I'll always notice myself being annoyed in this way!)

4. Actually, they do get a lot of criticism! It stands to reason that the most powerful, noticeable country would but it's a lot if you spew it all out on one person! Plus, they should be allowed to defend themselves like any other nation. I think we sometimes expect them, like a big man being hit by a smaller one, to simply take the punches without retaliation but a big man's as entitled to defend himself against attack as anyone else. They should be able to tell the French to fuck off just as often as we do! ::

THANKS, Bibblies. We yanks have only been a country for 229 years. Takes a bit to get out of our adolescence. It's taking millenia and counting for a few of our relatives across the pond.

Archived