WHAT'S UP WITH Q BAR???

I don't think there's been a musically or lyrically relevant rap act since Public Enemy. I think Chuck D's politics were, at times, simplistic. But at least he was trying to say something, and pushing for social change. He wasn't bragging about the "hos" he banged or how much "bling" he had acquired. Though I fervently disagree with alot of his opinions, Chuck had, in my mind, the true spirit of punk. Plus is all sounded so damned good. I've got over 2500 songs on my computer. With the exception of a couple of Run DMC and Beasties, they are all from Public Enemy.

Manos

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Public Enemy made 2500 songs? Where've I been??

Fair play to you, mate, but there's a lot of great rap music that has really changed the face of pop music in general. having said that, there's not much happening now...50 Cent is boring and they're all using the same producers anyway. What I heard at the Q bar was "Old Skool" hip hop, like PE, Biz Markie, Beasties, Eric B, etc.

Senor Poderoso,

You're report seems quite fair, started to give Q bar a miss cause of the 1 am closing but tried it again and even though it's packed and the night is short I seem to always have a blast there.

Very good if what you intend is blowing your brains out with (one of?) the best drink list in Bangkok, DJs who somehow try to keep it up, and very stylish setting. You might have difficulty chatting girls in a raffinated way, but there will always be some asses around to rub whatever you fill suitable against it. Packed and hot it is usually!

Besides the setting, you sometimes get model groups around which are always pleasing to my deteriorating sight. Most girls are not stunners I agree though, hence the double advantage to down those powerfull Carribean Iced Tea: by closing time they look alright :drunk:

Poderoso,

Have you checked upstairs?? There's a club part a bit quieter than downstairs and a terrace where you can have a drink outside,prolly a better option if you want to have a civilised time with a friend or a date

I agree with the other posters; If I am gong to the tropics, I want to wear sandals shorts and t shirts and hang out in steamy out door beer bars, long live pattaya. If I want to hang out in a pretentious bar like the Q bar ill just stay here in the USA. Thailand is just to damn hot to wear anything other than shorts and flip flops.

mano_poderosa said:

I don't think there's been a musically or lyrically relevant rap act since Public Enemy. I think Chuck D's politics were, at times, simplistic. But at least he was trying to say something, and pushing for social change. He wasn't bragging about the "hos" he banged or how much "bling" he had acquired. Though I fervently disagree with alot of his opinions, Chuck had, in my mind, the true spirit of punk. Plus is all sounded so damned good. I've got over 2500 songs on my computer. With the exception of a couple of Run DMC and Beasties, they are all from Public Enemy.

Manos

Nothing relevant since P.E.? Let's try, Slum Village, Dilated Peoples, Black Eyed Peas, Kanye West, The Roots, Missy Elliot, Tribe Called Quest, Gang Starr, Busta Rhymes, Mobb Deep, The Fugees, Diggable Planets, Common, Mos Def, Talib Kwali, NAS, Wu tang Clan and The Notorious BIG!

Come on man! Let the 80's go!

guyfromUK said:

Public Enemy made 2500 songs? Where've I been??

Fair play to you, mate, but there's a lot of great rap music that has really changed the face of pop music in general. having said that, there's not much happening now...50 Cent is boring and they're all using the same producers anyway. What I heard at the Q bar was "Old Skool" hip hop, like PE, Biz Markie, Beasties, Eric B, etc.

The problem with Hip Hop today is the corporate control and adherence to the bottom line. Hip hop is a multibillion dollar business and has to be controlled like any other major product. Tthe only music that gets played commercially is that of the super producers because they are proven revenue generators. They are Dre, P Diddy, The Neptunes, Timbaland, Swiss Beats, Cash Money and Master P. If your song is not produced by one of these guys then the corporate cats don't want to give you any airplay, distribution deals or contracts. Hence the reason why every album is basically "sounding" the same.

Q-bar in my estimation has always been mediocre crowd wise. They have decent Dj's from time to time and a nice setup asthetically as a bar/lounge but not a club that features DJ's. The crowd never really gets hyped enough for my tastes.

I think the problem is the location of the DJ booth. The DJ is never a part of the crowd but rrather in a recessed corner off of the small dance floor.

i like hanging out upstairs on the patio with occasional runs to the dance floor to get loose.

Archived