French and Thailand

drogon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Drogon,

Really?

I have a danish acquaintance living in bkk teaching danish (talk about a narrow niche here). He has his hands full although he charges 600 bht an hour!!

His students consist almost entirely of thai girls with danish BFs who want them to get acquainted with the language before bringing them to Scandinavia.

I would suspect that your options would be much better since you could offer classes in a mainstream language - (compared to danish anyway)

Cheers

Hua Nguu

One of my wife's friends majored in French at Chiang Mai University (I think), then got her MA at the University of Paris. But when she came back to Thailand and got a job as a teacher at a government secondary school, they informed her that they had no French classes. Instead, the gal was assigned to teach English! And you wonder why Thai students' English is so poor?

::

<< I already looked for a teaching job in thailand but: >>

Check www.ajarn.com periodically. Jobs for French teachers come up every now and then.

But one unpleasant thing. You say you are of Korean ancestory? Most Thai schools and universities expect their English or French teachers to be a Farang (= Caucasian). Asian-Americans etc sometimes have a hard time getting hired. Same with African-Americans, Afro-Brits etc. Worth a try though.

There is a Korean International School here. You might check to see if they have a French department.

http://www.isat.or.th/member_schools_detail.asp?id=mm4418757565

Also, Assumption University (ABAC) is run by a Catholic order -- with many monks from India on the staff -- as does not discriminate against non-Farang teachers.

As to the low pay, yep ... tell me about it. Be happy if you are offered 30,000 baht a month. Some universities pay even less than that. It is liveable, but you are not going to save any money.

:(

Thais have an "image" about what a native speaker of a language should look like. I once worked at a university which turned down an applicant because she was half-Indian (and quite a looker too). She was born in England and had a first honours in English Linguistics from the Australian National University, so I asked why they rejected her. The dept head told me, "She's not a native speaker. Her mother is from India." I asked, "Then what about XXXX? His parents are from Italy." The dept head looked surprised and didn't know that. (She couldn't tell by his name?) To her, being a Farang meant he was a native speaker of English. Anyone else wasn't!

I have met Germans, Swedes and Poles teaching English in Thailand. But a Japanese-American friend who speaks only English has had problems getting hired. Go figure.

::

Archived