confused about visa procedure

Alright Everyone,

I am coming to Bangkk and will be getting a non-immigrant ED visa. I had the options of getting it issued before I go,or I can come to Bangkok,arrive on a tourist visa,(from UK) and then begin the proceedings with the institute.

I ve decided I want to come to BKK and then apply for the visa as I can t be bothered posting forms back and forward,to fing I dont get the visa on time for the date when I want to come.

I spoke to MInt the girl who takes care of this at SAE institute and she said I could come on a tourist visa and bring the necessary documents to her. Then she states I will have to leave Thailand as I can t aply for this on a tourist visa. She said I will then have to fax her the departure stamp. WHat I am confused about is why you have to leave Thailand and how long do you have to stay out of the country? If its going to take 2 weeks to process etc I dont want to stay out all that time. But if I want to re-enter then Iwill be a tourist visa. I dont really understand this procedure.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I would love to hear from anyone. cheers.

You need to get the Non IMM B OUTSIDE of Thailand, has to be issued outside of the country.

So - to do that you'll need some letters etc, depending on the Embassy or consulate you go to.

Maybe come here, get some letters from Thai companies, then go to KL or Sillpore.

OR

Do it all where you are now.

It only take a day to get the visa or in Brisbane, 5 minutes, depends where you go.

I suggest come in on a Tourist, get the letters from SAE, then go to KL or similar.

When you re enter you MUST re enter on your Non Im B visa

DOG

junglesoup said:

. I had the options of getting it issued before I go,or I can come to Bangkok,arrive on a tourist visa,(from UK)

If you are able to, I would strongly advise you to obtain the Non-Immigrant ED visa before you come to Thailand. There is little point in paying for a tourist visa and then entering Thailand just so you have to leave the country to apply for the Non-Immigrant ED visa in Malaysia, Cambodia etc. There is one good reason why you don't want to do this. Say, you arrive in Thailand on the Tourist Visa and then you have to go to Penang for 3 days to apply for the Non-Immigrant ED class visa. What happens if get to the Thai Consulate in Penang and there is a problem with the documentation for the visa, you have just wasted the trip. If you sort all of this out before you come, you won't have any problems.

I can't think of any good reason why you wouldn't get the Non-Immigrant ED visa in advance.

This is the Education visa for people coming here to study. Usually the Thai language, but also applies to Buddhism, etc.

You can't get a Work Permit on this visa and you need a letter from the educational establishment (school, college, etc.) confirming your enrolment, and they in turn will usually require you to pay for the entire course in advance.

I strongly recommend that you get all your ducks in a row before coming here. Obtaining the visa in the UK is nothing compared with changing a tourist visa to an EDu visa here. You will be dealing with Thai bureaucracy and Thai officials in Thailand. I cannot imagine anything worse. :shakehead

My guess is that you could easily find yourself dealing with an official who either doesn't know how to deal with your application, or really can't be bothered, in which case you'll have to get a whole load of fresh paperwork and queue up in Vientianne for days while they process your application S-L-O-W-L-Y.

You have been warned. Welcome to Thailand, one day you will look back on this post and smile. :up:

ib13 said:

wow someone feels a little feed up with how welcome we all are in the LOS ;)

No, I'm not feeling unwelcome or suggesting we are, just commenting on the way things get done here, whether it be opening a bank account, buying a car, or renewing a visa. I remember even being asked for my work permit when I bought my first mobile phone!

Once you're used to it then, fine, but surely there are enough challenges facing newcomers without having to worry about getting the right visa.

I agree with Erawan, try to sort this out before you leave. If you already have the appropriate documents from your college or wherever, it really isn't much of a job to get it done in the UK. If you live near an Embassy or consulate, you hand your stuff in in the morning and collect your passport and visa the following afternoon. By post I think it takes about 3-4 days and shouldn't involve anything more than reading and completing the forms carefully. You will need to decide if you want single or multiple entry, assuming the non-imm ED is the same as the others.

If you leave it until you get to Thailand then the process takes the same time but you will need to add on your travelling time and costs, plust accommodation for 2-3 days (you will probably need to travel the day before so you are there early enough to submit your forms before lunch, when they close the windows for the day.

Archived