Basic Question; Poo Yai means what??

Obviously Yai means 'big'...

Heard this term bandied about and it just came up in a post, bugging the hell outa me what it means. By the context of the post i figure Poo means Elder - respected (simmilar to pee?) - or even mafia?

Ta.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Poo Yai Baan' is an elected official of a village sub-division. He generally takes care of the security, village fund, and day-to-day matters. He answers to the Kamnan.

The Kamnan is the head of the village and usually has several Poo Yai Baans working for him. He is also an elected (by the village) official.

The 'Or Bor Tor' is another elected village official with different duties than that of the Kamnan. He keeps an eye on the water supply, condition of the roads, construction, etc.

They come up for re-election every four years.

They all answer to the 'Nai Amphur' (District officer). The district officer is an official (elected by the government) posted to the province.

Batty said:

Obviously Yai means 'big'...

Heard this term bandied about and it just came up in a post, bugging the hell outa me what it means. By the context of the post i figure Poo means Elder - respected (simmilar to pee?) - or even mafia?

Ta.

Poo means person/human, so poo chay is person male, poo ying is person female and poo yai is literally person big, meaning an adult, depending on circumstances it can also mean someone important our even boss.

It is not related to Pee and is usually quite neutral, no mafia.

In certain thai subcultures however, I wouldn`t be surprised to learn that this word may carry the connotation you refer to.

cheers

hua nguu

So, while we are on the subject...

If poo means person, does khun not mean the same?

Or is Khun reserved for only people you know, but dont consider elder so pee would not be acceptable...?

In other words, someone i know vagley, about the same age as me, it would be polite to say 'khun name'

Someone elder than me, or simmilar age but commands respect, i would say 'pee name'

So going one step further, to be very polite given the approriate situation... meeting someone elder and very much respected would be "poo pee name"...? No, that dosent sound right.

Sorry for being two paces behind, but i fail to see to much of a difference between poo and khun?

Sorry complicate this even further!!... :dunno::sleeping: .... but if i met an elder and i had the power and materialistic stuff that commands respect here - but the elder was a drunk porper, would i still call him pee? Or is age factored out the person you address is a looser?!

It confuses me! I appreciate these are somewhat basic questions considering i have lived here for over two years but go on, educate me!

Wait, wait... i think i have got it.

Playschool time;

Q "I need to see a poo yai in the village"

A "you need to look for pee tung"

On finding "pee tung" you would not address him as "poo Tung" you would address him as "pee tung" right?

Nail on the head?

So poo and khun are the same, the only difference is you would use "poo" as follows; "khun/pee Tung is the poo yai in the village"

Batty said:

Nail on the head?

Hi batty,

I think so. Phu and Khon mean person, but I would never say to you "Good morning person Batty". I might say "Good morning Mr Batty" and Mr is Khun, generally, or sometimes Phi or Nong for friends, family or social inferiors (?). Khun is universally acceptable as polite address for males and females.

Khwai

poo yai baan is a special title for those village heads, while poo yai just simply means adult.

the kamnan is actually head of the tambon (subdistrict) while you are right on the nai amphur. the governor of the province is usually called phoo wa; for example phoo wa krungthep (bangkok governor) or phoo wa changwat phuket (phuket governor)

Batty said:

Q "I need to see a poo yai in the village"

A "you need to look for pee tung"

On finding "pee tung" you would not address him as "poo Tung" you would address him as "pee tung" right?

Nail on the head?

So poo and khun are the same, the only difference is you would use "poo" as follows; "khun/pee Tung is the poo yai in the village"

I think you are confusing Khon with Khun. Khon meaning person and Khun meaning you and used with a name Khun Charoen becomes a honorific mr/mrs. Charoen.

You would address Tung as Pee Tung if a) you are well familiar with him b)if he is older than you, but not too old or you would rather call him Lung - uncle.

PS. and when we are talking about poo yai baan you will be well adviced to address him as exactly that khun poo yai baan :)

My brother-in-law is poo yai baan in the village and he is offended when I call him by his name instead of by his title.

As if I give a shit, I saw him trying to beat his old man with a bottle when drunk, and although he has wife and kids he has taken a mia noi in a house in the same village. Everybody knows and Mia Luang loses face big time.

I will continue to call him by his given name on every given opportunity ::

cheers

hua nguu

Archived