Is Jakarta worth a visit?

Belem

Jakarta fellas:

How is the internet chat scene in your neck of the woods? :dunno:

It seems like a good way to get in touch with some people, and have somebody to muck around with in the daytime if you find the right girl.

Thailand is rife with these websites, and people on messengers... any similar leads down Java way..

Cheers,

the_numbers

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very active. if you have an account with yahoo and put enough pointers to Indonesia in your profile they will come to you. friendster is very popular now and face-pic is declining (because it was impossible to register from Indonesia for 6 months). friendfinder and adult friend finder also are popular but you have to be a paying member. Girls always complain to me about unwanted advances in these communities so please don't expect or pursue cyber-sex unless its absolutely clear thats okay, it just makes it harder for other folks to make introductions. I meet lots of folks on Yahoo! profiles.yahoo.com and search for people online.

ma'af ganggu - sorry to bother you

pa kabar? - apa kabar? - whats up?

lagi ngapa'n - whatcha doing?

bt - bete - bored

sebel - ticked off

gpp - nggak apa apa no problem

kdl - kasihan deh eloe - what a pity (you)

gicu - oh gicu - oic - oh I see

skl - sampai ketemu lagi - see you later

btr - bentar yah - brb

dugem - party

begadang - all nighter

iyah - iyah - ja - yes

nggak -nga - ga - no

ga dech - absolutly not

Caucasian tourists receive instant celebrity or godlike status

when visiting Jakarta (or other Asian places), based on the

voluminous posts that I've read. I'm an Asian American, but

have never been to Asia. Planning to go in a few weeks.

How will the girls receive me? Anyone with specific stories?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

californiaguy said:

Caucasian tourists receive instant celebrity or godlike status when visiting Jakarta (or other Asian places), based on the voluminous posts that I've read. I'm an Asian American, but never been to Asia. Planning to go in a few weeks. How will the girls receive me? Anyone with specific stories? Thank you in advance for your respnses.

I wouldn't exactly say godlike nor would I say instant celebrity, more like curiousity and sometimes even contempt. I for one recall walking around a market in south Jakarta with my gf who was a Sundanese beauty at 5' tall and with me at 6'6" the locals just looked agog and asked us "kok bisa?" (how can, which I assume refered to the mechanics of our lovemaking)

I would say that largely you will be treated as a westerner, once it is known that you are American, regardless of your race. Here in Korea, Kyopos, or overseas Koreans, often get a hard time from the natives who regard them with suspicion. The girls will love you for your money and/or potential as a green card sponsor. Go have a good time and don't worry about it.

Cheers

Jaga

the_numbers said:

Jakarta fellas:

How is the internet chat scene in your neck of the woods? :dunno:

It seems like a good way to get in touch with some people, and have somebody to muck around with in the daytime if you find the right girl.

Thailand is rife with these websites, and people on messengers... any similar leads down Java way..

Cheers,

the_numbers

I met several girls through face-pic and ICQ and ended up bedding more than one when I visited in 2003. It was also a great way to practice my Bhs Indo and learn the nuances of the colloquial form, which Adikgede has so kindly provided a brief guide to. Dalnet is the best server on ICQ, but you need to know at least some of the lingo. As for other chats/sites, ICQ and yahoo are pretty good as well. Hope this helps.

Cheers

PS

Caucasian tourists receive instant celebrity or godlike status when visiting Jakarta (or other Asian places), based on the voluminous posts that I've read. I'm an Asian American, but have never been to Asia. Planning to go in a few weeks.

How will the girls receive me? Anyone with specific stories?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Are you winding us up, old mate ? If not, please read on - if you are, then let my little sermon be penance enough ::

I suspect that you may have access to some *very* outdated matieral. As PS has already pointed out : at best, Westerners are regarded as a curiosity or an ATM, and it goes downhill from there.

You are in a slightly different situation, assuming that you appear more Asian than Caucasian, but I'm willing to bet that the locals will spot your foreign status from a long way off. Whether it was Indonesia, southern China or Thailand, my experience was that Asian tourists stood out almost as readily as Caucasians, although I believe that the locals still see the latter as easier targets.

I have a friend who was born and raised in Shanghai, but moved to Oz a little over 10 years ago. When she went back with her daughter, her choice was simple : leave her daughter in the hotel room and pay local prices or undergo the instant change of financial status that goes with having a half-Caucasian child at your side. Even though she *had* to know it would happen, she was clearly shocked by it.

I would imagine that you will encounter less blatant staring than most of us have been forced to endure ( particularly in rural Asia - the people of Guanxi province got a damn good look at me ...) but I doubt that anything beyond the contents of your wallet will be considered 'godlike'. As I mentioned in my post on my time in Jakarta, I was stung by the fact that people will make no attempt to lower their voices while they discuss the fact that a 'Bule' (pronounced 'boolay', meaning 'pale') has wandered into their midst. Hopefully, thats one sideshow that you will be spared - I would hope that the sight of Asians from elsewhere doesnt fascinate them anymore. I'd probably play down the American side of your heritage - the only unpleasant moment I had in 2 weeks in the city was some idiots chanting 'USA, USA' behind me. They are in the minority, but its not easy to swallow one's pride and walk away from this brand of loser. Could have been worse - 'Aussie, Aussie, Aussie - Oi, Oi, Oi' ..........

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Prosal, if we have overlapping period in JKT (my last days and your first days) lets have a drink in BATS (as starter around 10 pm) will give you the latest updates. :beer:

ate logo

Hi Mojito, unfortunatly I think it will not be for this time, due to various reasons (July's vacations in Thailand with my son, friends out of KL in August, ect ...), I feel less emergency to go back in SEA.

Just bought today (with a blend of high exitation and anxiety) my plane ticket (Iberia, 700 ?) for Colombia , leaving on 19th August :D :: :: !!!!!

Bogota for one week, then Medellin for two weeks, and of course Cali for three weeks .... with maybe a little extend of one week at the beach in Cartagena if I find a 9.5 to go with (the ones of the above links suit perfectly my tastes ::) .... reports will follow on a dedicated thread ...

So Mojito, have the greatest fun as usual in JKT with those incomparable Javanese beauties, and be sure i will make good use of your recommandations about Cali ....

Cheers to all the JKT crew :beer:

Archived