Is Jakarta worth a visit?

Belem

numbers,

I went from Jakarta to Medan by bus 5 years ago. Even as the road must have been better than when you've been a boy I won't recommend it and won't do it again myself.

Depending on how many stops and time you plan it might be worth it. I didn't do enough stops. I recall lake Menanjau (not sure about the spelling) near Bukittinggi to be very nice, but also very quiet. Danau Toba wasn't that interesting to me, more hotels than tourists, and to much emphasis on the magic mushrooms. Medan is still dirty, nothing much changed I guess.

Best part was the Orang Utan station at Bukit Lawang, part of the Leusser National Park. There has been a deadly flood some month ago. Not sure about the current situation there (presumably very bad).

Going from Jakarta to Bali you'll have many interesting places on the way and the possibility to take the train on the better part of the journey.

Hope it helps

carlton

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember that lake menanjau? whatever, but I guess it's a major sidetrack from bukittinggi with numerous hairpin bends & breathtaking scenary. Worthwhile if got time to burn, but back to itinary at request:

Medan was the first major city we did some major exploration of the girls of Indo, so my ways from back then is most likely skewed, but anyways seemed a very easygoing place to wind down & meet the friendly locals who get I guess very few bule visitors ;)

Next stop should be toba or bukittinggi or even padang if straight line is preferred. Nice city that one BTW ;)

I did then non stop padang - JKT bus with only the sumatra-java ferry crossing as major stop. Nice enough ride, but sure can get tiresome for some...

Overall I really recommend touring this incredibly country even these post terror days. If I had the time I'd do it again, so I guess I just should find that time!

Do report back as my last visit in sumatra was last decade!

Ohh regarding jkt-bkk flight I've done those also & found singair with stopover in SIN the best deal for star alliance flyer, but if only caring about price garuda will have the best direct deal.

Possibly you could split up the trip into 2 seperate jkt-sin + sin-bkk legs, which both feature low cost fares so best of luck :beer:

All over Indonesia domestic air tickets are rapidly closing in on bus fairs, and Medan to Jkt may be cheaper by air. When you factor in time there is no comparison. I find the drive from Jakarta to Bandung so hellish I would almost rather fly. The down side is that there seems to be more bus terminal behaviour at the airports and on planes.

I suggest planning where you want to go and flying when possible.

ib13,

to my knowledge 'recall' can have the same meaning than 'remember'. So I use it once in a while as substitute.

English is not my native language. I might use expressions that sound strange. Can anyone of the native speakers please tell me if it's ok to use 'recall' same as 'remember'?

My books and maps are still packed after moving so I can't check back. Also no info on the web. And it's been some years since. I think it only took me a good hour by public bus from Bukittinggi to Danau Menanjau.

carlton, I did not mean to correct your advice. simply just relaying my experience and perhaps what route would make more sense if time & stops was not unlimited.

1 hour bus ride to danau menanjau I think is very likely, but it's just I think it's still a 'detour' in the meaning possibly the best way onwards is back again thru butinggitti to continue south...

anyways anyone with a map be it online or otherwise should be able to better advice on that than our memory of several years back :)

:beer:

If interested in visiting Bukittinggi-Danau Maninjau -region, flying to Padang is the best option as it's only a 3hrs bus-drive from Padang to Bukitinggi. Maninjau is as good as dead these days, with hardly any visitors at all. The reasonable places to stay are between Maninjau village and Bayur village, which is a shame as it's more scenic further north. Anyway, nothing at all to do in the area, but as long as you're ok with whiling away by the (pictoresque) lake-side, then it's a great spot. Buses to/from Bukittinggi go I think every 30 mins. during the daylight hours. When getting back to Bukittinggi you need to hail one down on the main road (I think there's kind of a bus-station at the intersection where the road starts to ascend up the hill, but no need to use it).

Bukittinggi is the center (or one of them, at least) of the local gigolo-scene on Sumatra, with young and not-so-young backpacker-females befriending local boys (almost all of whom are trek-guides of some sort... An obvious case of supply far outweighing the demand these days so what's to stop them from passing the time by canoodling with the needy euro-birds). Visiting the local market is such a cliche but Bukittinggi does sport a nice one.

Heading north, the next logical stop is Danau Toba (Pulau Nias is not worth the hassle unless you're an avid surfer, as the beaches there are crap). However, starting from Bukittingi, you're looking at either a.), a 13-hour bus-drive onboard a big bus (Antar Lintas Sumatera [ALS] has several types, also comfy ones with AC, for around 90,000Rp/110,000) or b.), backtracking to Padang and flying to Medan from there. Minibusses used to tackle this trip in around 10 hours, but these are not in operation anymore. There are 2 AC-departures (on ALS) daily, the latter sporting an onboard lavatory (it's a better choice also for the reason that it passes Parapat at a reasonable hour, unlike the earlier one which will leave you stranded in the sleeping town at 04:00am. (There are various roadside eateries open should you find yourself in need for a brekkie.) The ferries to Pulau Samosir won't start running until around 07:00. Once onboard, there's a good chance you'll be told that only a ride to the first stop located to the west of tuk tuk peninsula is included in the price of your ticket (3000Rp): Take none of that, and demand to be take to the place of your choice (there are many many; Carolina Hotel has nice comfy bungalows).

From Parapat, it's another 4-5 hours, ~40,000Rp/60,000Rp (AC-bus/minibus) to Medan (Brastagi makes for a suitable pit-stop, but it's not much more than another town gathering for trekkers). As it is, Bukit Lawang is being re-built after last november's catastrophe and it's not a nice place to visit now (although it is possible for tourists to go there again). AFAIK there are 2 places open as of now, one being Rindu Alam. Temporary homestays have popped up in nearby village of Gotorojo.

Thanks for the wealth of information.. guys. :bow:

I'm thinking of hitting most of the spots mentioned in the posts including Bukkutungi, Padang, etcetera. I am honestly dreading the Parapat-Bukkutungi trip. I'm having flashes of some horrendous bus rides in Burma in the days of yor that at 12 hours had me looking for sedatives :doah: However, you don't want to be out like a light on the Indo-buses.

I remember having to be super-cautious when traveling by public transit when I was a boy with my parents [early 80's]. It could've just been them being neurotic. Does anyone have any caveats on that? :help:

Anyone ever bothered to ferry out to Krakatao? Is it worth it with the charter of the boat all-in-all.

BTW, I was thinking of taking the Carolina Hotel already... :D

Cheers,

the_numbers

Krakatoa is below the water I think you mean anak krakatoa (son of krakatoa) usually you don't actually go to the volcano itself but a nearby island. worth it or not highly dependent on volcanic activity.

Buses are mostly safe (except for the manner they drive, road conditions, and other drivers). That is you shouldn't have to worry about the other passengers. I read about people getting drugged on buses from time to time, Ive never heard of this happening to a tourist. If you don't trust some one just don't accept drinks from them. you can say ma'af kenching manees which means you have a blood sugar problem. properly sealed water is in abundant supply so not something to be overly concerned about.

numbers,

Parapat - Bukittinggi isn't that long, and no other option than bus anyway. I waited two days for the tourist bus and at the third day went with the public bus. Due to the low numbers of tourists acommodation isn't a problem, an abundance of tourguides was a small problem to me.

I have to say that I felt save in public transport in indonesia. But have to admit that someone stole my wallet when I stood in a packed commuter train. Had the wallet in the side pocket of my trecking trousers, train packed with people and I didn't really pay attention. Otherwise never problems.

Archived