Friday meetings change?

TheBelgianDog

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Time for me to chime in :)

First of all, TheBelgianDog did ask me if it was okay for him to bring this up and I told him that I had no problem with it.

Now, as to the meeting place. How about we go about this a bit different. Let's start by figuring out what people want in a meeting place, and then try finding something that matches most people's criteria?

For me the criteria are (in no particular order):

- good (Western) food at a reasonable price

- easy access (i.e. short walking distance) from either skytrain or subway; Asoke intersection would be perfect for me

- no loud music

- able to bring my wife without her getting embarrassed/uncomfortable

- decent sized area slightly separate from the rest of the place

BTW, does it have to be a bar? I could see this working in a quiet restaurant just as easy.

Anybody else want to post their criteria?

Sanuk!

Sounds like a fair and reasonable list KS....

But the best thing with it is that it automatically rules out "Gullables"....ie the Good (Western) food at reasonable prices...bit

Personally I'm all for that!!!!

I'm also happy with the Soi 22 option, as it's closer to my "Usual Hangouts"

Given the Belgian Dog's willingness to provide some extras for the Guys, plus his enthusiastic approach and his more than reasonable prices....I say...let's "give the Dog a bone" Seems like a win / win option to me ... really what's to lose??? What's Gully's ever contributed...

Worst case, you could go back later if it doesn't work out.

Just my :twocents:

Thanks for your answers.

Let me give my honnest opinion.

The area where my bar is:

- Is far more frequented by couples (and families going to the thai restaurant) than other nightlife vneues.

- Bringing wifes or girlfriends?

The "not in your face" factor is there.

The good points of my specific bar:

- Very extensive drink choice

- Very moderate prices

- Good service (always willing to improve it)

- Very good food

- Not loud music (except if there is only one customer in the bar asking for his favorite song at a reasonnably loud level)

- Nice layout and quite comfortable seatting.

The bad point:

- Not too popular area so customers may feel alone at times

- The bar is quite small (although enough room for

30 people especially if we re-arrange the seattings for special occasions)

- No parking available (except queens park hotel or washington square)

- A bit far from popular venues and skytrain

(around 4 minutes walk to phrom pong for me)

- Our food menu is not extensive at all.

(great burgers, great hot dogs, great steack sandwiches and maybe later on belgian fries) but this is all.

Now I would say to the board members.

Come visit us then make up your mind about switching the meeting place or not.

KS idea about a restaurant is very good IMHO.

I dislike gullivers for many reasons so a restaurant would make me happy.

The expats living in BKK must decide on this, but I agree that Gulliver's food is far from good, actually the food in Woodstock was better. Yes, the restaurant idea is good I can suggest my favourite restaurant in BKK Old Dutch - good food, good pool tables and perfect location. Those of you bringing wifes arriving from Soi 23 and the rest of you from Asoke/SC.

The old Dutch is unfortunately more becoming the old Englishman. But it would be good locationwise. Although bringing the missus there ??? I do see Thai couples eating there though sometimes.

Woodstock is open on Thonglor soi 13 ..... but I think that is to far away. Very nice place. Conveniently close to Rama IX plaza where I go and end my comedy nights.

O'Brians between soi 3 and 5 is a decent place. Though downstairs is small. Upstairs is quite big and they definately have good food. I sometimes go there after work (2 or 3 or 4 in the morning) and it is quiet. It actually fits all of khun Sanuk's list!

Waerth

Hi,

For me the criteria are (in no particular order):

- good (Western) food at a reasonable price

- easy access (i.e. short walking distance) from either skytrain or subway; Asoke intersection would be perfect for me

- no loud music

- able to bring my wife without her getting embarrassed/uncomfortable

- decent sized area slightly separate from the rest of the place

The Big Mango in Nana Plaza pretty much meets those criteria depending on your definition of 'decent sized' and your wifes purity test scores.

The longer walk to a venue the less likely locals are to show up after a hard days work. Soi 22 might be pushing it, but I'd be willing to give it a go and think it would be an improvement on Gulliver's.

Archived