poor audio

Old Hippie

I have the Rosetta Stone set loaded into my computer. It worked fine for awhile, lately though the audio is staticy and at times garbled. All my other CD-Roms sound o.k. Any ideas what might be wrong? The Rossetta Stone stuff sounds o.k. on another computer, so I don't think it's the disks.

Old hippie,

My first suggestion, is to visit the 'ear doctor', lol.

I have had simular problems, some cd's work, some don't. Don't work on my desktop, but will work on my laptop. After cleaning the cd and cleaning the reader in the computer, have not had any more trouble.

Actually sounds quite weird that your rosetta stone CD doesn't sound fine while your other CD's sound OK. As you said, it's not the Rosetta stone CD as it sounds okay on another computer.

The only thing I can think of is that the sound on the Rosetta Stone CD is recorded in a different format than your regular CD's and that the algorithm used to play your Rosetta CD files isn't very good, or the output is set to poor for this specific file format.

I'd find out what the sound card you have is and go to the net and find out if there updated drivers. Install these. Could also open the volume controls and mute everything else you don't need to play the sound from the Rosetta Stone CD. I had a similar problem and muting the Microphone solved my static. Then I had static with anything I played though.

Some thoughts,

<<burp>>

Gummingit,

Thanks. I had a friend check it last night, basically when I installed an Earthlink (ISP) update, it installed something that conflicted with Rosetta, When we tried to play clips through Media player, it sounded great! In an attempt to install a new driver, somehow the old driver got knocked out, and so now no sound at all! I think I'll pull the card out and either upgrade it, or just get the numbers off it, and then reinstall the driver from on line, that should work right?

Yes, that should work. If everything else is OK.

Also check from the control panel:

- Multimedia settings

- system, hardware, device manager

This will vary somewhat depending on your operating system. Check to see that all the sound card devices are operating without conflicts and all the drivers are installed.

Sounds like during the installation of the new driver it failed and affected the previous installation. If you have two of same sound devices delete one of them. Usually easier to delete all the sound devices and start from scratch. If the sound card is plug and play this sould be easy. Turn off the computer after you have removed the sound devices and then restart it. With Win 2000 and XP the windows CD has enough drivers on it to install almost everthing except the very latest drivers. You can install the latest drivers after everything is working again.

Archived