Tipping - Hotel Housekeeping

unit731

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly the cleaning ladies should be kept onside. 100 baht now and then does wonders for getting those extra towels, soap, etc. I tend to have a low impact on rooms. Often the room did not need cleaning on a daily basis. I would tell the staff; 'No room clean today'. They are always grateful to cross one room off their 'to do' list.

And the "service fee" quite often goes into the coffers of the hotel, not the staff.

More than so - some hotels and restaurants not just in Thailand want to have a percent of the tips the employees get - sometimes all tips are pooled so reception and adminstrative staff also get a share.

Why tip if you are being CHARGED a 10% service fee?!? :dunno:

One of my bet hates "service charge" I usually avoid restaurants and hotels that have this. I can't see the point in being charged 10-15 or sometimes 20% for shit service.

I always tip well if I've had an enjoyable meal with enjoyable service, but having to pay for shit is not my thing and most of the time the staff do not get it.

If I go to a restaurant with service charge and get shit service I refuse to pay, full stop.

As for hotel cleaners I always leave a bit each day. Good tip about under pillow, never thought of that. :)

I always tip the housekeepers. I have serious misgivings about whether the staff is actually getting the â??Service Chargeâ? or if itâ??s being used to pay the staffâ??s wages; I have never been clear on that. Most people think that the service charge is a gratuity I have doubts if the little guys see much of it.

MHO S1

Archived