gluten free

AF16

I'm looking for some gluten free food in Thailand, anyone know what I should be asking or looking for. Both Thai fonts and a westernisated version so I can try to pronounce it would be apreciated.

It's some baby food.

I think the Thai word for gluten is �ั� (dtang), but that word (amongst others) is also used for glue. So maybe it would be contextual? It is not a word I am really familiar with, and I'm not sure how many Thais would be either. Realistically, how many farangs really know what gluten is?

Anyway, if that is the correct word, then �ม�ม�ั� (mai mee dtang) would be "gluten free".

Good luck.

EDIT: I wonder if adding �ัภ(tan), meaning grain, as in wheat/corn/etc, to the phrase would help? Like �ม�ม�ั��ัภ(mai mee dtang tan). :dunno:

Cheers,

SD

Correct C. Wow. Gluten is only from cereal grains like wheat, barley, etc. A boardie (tho' who rarely posts) was diagnosed with a gluten allergy and I've learned a bit about it. For instance, he can drink bourbon, but not scotch; only potato vodka, not regular vodka; no beer. Matching restrictions on food. And the hard part in Asia: no MSG.

When I said I was unfamiliar, I meant the Thai words, not the concept of gluten. But I'm sure you got that even tho' my wording was clunky.

Cheers,

SD

When I said I was unfamiliar, I meant the Thai words, not the concept of gluten. But I'm sure you got that even tho' my wording was clunky.

Cheers,

SD

Oh yes indeed SD. Your familiarity with the gluten concept came across very well. I certainly wasn't questioning it, merely elaborating a little using my own meager knowledge of the subject. :beer:

The correct way to say it would be... prad sa chark num tarn.

I know because I have celiac disease and have lived here for years. Turning this phrase in Thai is nearly useless, as unless you are around someone with more than half a wit they will simply look at you like you just pissed yourself.

It is not common for allergies to be understood in Thailand, and fending for yourself is the only way to go. Street vendors are impatient but can follow the basic NO MSG instructions if you can say it.

FYI, irritable bowel syndrome's sudden boom in the 1990's was actually part of a slow burning realization that ALOT of people have gluten allergies and were just unaware. The severity does vary, as do the side effects, quite alot. Its become very profitable business in the states and trader joe's has lists of all their gluten free products to make life easier when you go in the store. Anheuser Busch has now even brewed a gluten free beer, which I don't give a shit about because I don't drink beer, but it exists.

Wheat is a recent grain in the human diet. Spelt, buckwheat, maize, and alot of other preceded it by quite some generations. Sometimes I just think my gut is behind on evolution, but it is a genetic disease so that's not the case I guess.

Mine is quite severe.

For shoppers. VILLA market on both J Avenue, Thong Lo, and Sukhumvit Road near Soi 33 are the go to spots, along with Marketplace in Siam Paragon for gluten free goods. Cookies, rice crackers, self raising flour, and pancake mix among other things on tap that are LABELED gluten free. These products are all healthy too in general, and usually contain no added sugars or other byproducts.

Orgran is the big flour brand available gluten free in Thailand.

I've got loafs of bread frozen now to keep me going so really the ONLY thing I miss alot is scotch. That's it...

Cheers,

theNumbbbbbbberz

Archived