Thai 360 Annual Get-Together

MooNoi

Now that the membership of the board is getting to quite large numbers, what about the prospect of an Annual Thai 360 Get Together??

Given enough notice - say, 6-9 months - of the date, we could have a get together in Bangkok and people could then plan to coincide travel plans to meet up on that date.

We could hire a gogo, bar or other venue. Have food, ladies (for those who wanted them), drinks etc. etc.

To me, Thai 360 is a real little "community" now. It's like a small town with many characters from all walks of life. There's a lot of people on the board who I feel that I "know" quite well, but have never met. It would be great to put a face to the names.

I guess it would be like a hugely expanded version of a Friday night get-together at Gulliver's.

Personally, I think it could be a fantastic night, and a great party.

Just need to give people enough notice to plan their travel dates and someone in Bangers to organise it.

Waddya reckon?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reckon it could cause some "Major" issues....

For example...What happens...say if 4 "members" are unknowingly assisting / supporting / sponsoring the same girl....and they ALL turn up in Bkk at the same time...LOL...

...Think you might end up needing Lumpini stadium....rather than a Go Go bar

Wouldn't be a problem for me...(except cannot Plan ANYTHING 6 - 9 months in advance) cos when I'm not there "MY" girl sits at home knitting and watching DVD's

...I know....she told me so!! :grinyes::dunno::dunno::grinyes:

For example...What happens...say if 4 "members" are unknowingly assisting / supporting / sponsoring the same girl....and they ALL turn up in Bkk at the same time...LOL...

It would probably be a blessing in disguise! :thumbup:

Anyway, if you want to bring your partner "up to you". I was thinking more of a "boys night".

Why not hold it in Sydney, I am sure Dee Why RSL would give you a discount, get food from Thai 2 Go Chilli delivery,

5 5 5 5 5 5

OK - How about another writing contest at the same time, winner announced, a annual get together doesn't have to be a major affair, it could be simply a much bigger gulli's night followed by a bigger cowboy night

One month would be too short for most people outside the region, Cav...

Maybe a small one in one month, but my idea was a BIG one with as many people as possible.

Hard for people to get hoidays and arrange things with a month's notice.

Seven or eight months time was more my thinking.

And preferably in low season - not Dec/Jan.

It's a nice thought BUT: in 2003, several people including the late LaoHuLi put a lot of effort into organizing just such an event, billed as the first AGM (Annual general meeting) to be held in December.

Hundreds responded and pledged to attend. At first, an attempt to collect deposits was made but the logistics of collecting and accounting for the fund proved prohibitive; ultimately they just took everybody who pledged to attend at their word.

Shirts and other paraphernalia were ordered, the banquet hall at the TAI-PAN HOTEL was booked and food was ordered for a large buffet. TONY'S BAR at SC was set up for a private party and dance contest. LHL and a number of other members busted their butt and laid out money.

December 20th, 2003 arrived, the big night. Everybody was supposed to be arriving. The banquet room was set up beautifully and LHL and others stood by, waiting for all those who PROMISED to be there. They waited...and waited some more as a few trickled in here and there. After a while, it became obvious that all the big talkers had suddenly found other places to be but hadn't bothered to tell LHL or anybody else. Probably about 30 members attended out of a promised 150+. We made the best of it and I made some friendships there that last to this day. Some members still on this board provided some great prizes, one of which I won and still haven't collected on. The dance contest really got going the way a DC should.

This was also when I got to know LHL, one of the best guys I ever knew and now miss very much, a sentiment that I know is shared with many who knew him.

He was really crestfallen and felt very betrayed by the poor showing. He didn't have much money in the first place and the bath he took on the money he laid out left him pretty much destitute. He had to sell his camera and borrow from friends to get back to Canada.

Anyway, I don't mean this to be a rant against having another attempt at a annual meeting but do proceed with caution and don't expect all those who say they'll come to actually do so. I would especially discourage laying out any money to book venues in advance, just pick a public place to meet and go from there.

dddave,

A very sobering and REALISTIC assessment of what generally happens to someone trying to put together such an event...

...I wonder how many members ever attended a High school renunion?????

Wank wank....money in the Bank....UPFRONT!!!!

Well put mate....and don't forget....you got part of the blame for MY problems...("is great site".. thread)....55555 :grinyes::neener::neener::grinyes:

...Couldn't leave you out of the "Party"....LOL...

Archived