Colin McRae Dead

ultras67

Just come over the news here that Colin McRae was piloting the helicopter that crashed earlier on this afternoon

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article2461339.ece

Unfortunately his son was also in the helicopter at the time.

There must be a curse on the 555 Subaru team. Thats him and Richard Burns dead :(

RIP mate I hope you and Jim Clark have some classic races.

I remember seeing his father Jimmy McRae on many events around the forests of UK in the mid 80's in the days before Group B Rally Cars were banned (end of 1986) Metro 6R4's Ford RS 200's Peugot 215 T16's etc those were the days.

I had the pleasure of meeting Colin here in Thailand back in 1996 when he competed in (and won) the rally of Thailand since a friend of mine Andy Mc Tighe was the manager of Team 555 Subaru (Thailand) at the time.

RALLY OF THAILAND RESULT: hrs mins secs

1 C McRae GB Subaru 3:35.17

2 K Eriksson Swe Subaru 3:35.48

3 P Liatti It Subaru 3:36.46

4 K Singh Proton 3:56.17

5 Y Kataoka Jpn Mitsubishi 4:06.23

6 S Konishi Jpn Subaru 4:07.55

7 T Tom'yasu Jpn Mitsubishi 4:08.53

8 N Tajima Jpn Suzsuki 4:10.32

9 C Sin'kiow Suzuki 4:16.07

10 A McTighe Subaru 4:35.31

Scotland's Colin McRae dominated the Rally of Thailand as he led a 1-2-3 victory sweep for the 555 Subaru team. World champion McRae was never under threat as he led from start to finish, setting a total of 10 fastest stages to win by 31 seconds after three days. McRae, competing for the first time in Thailand, said: "This is fantastic. I never expected to come here and win. I thought experience would count." Subaru's Kenneth Eriksson and Piero Liatti joined him on the poduim as they came in more than 19 minutes ahead of their nearest rival in fourth place.

Britain's rising star Richard Burns has revealed what went wrong in his bid for honours in the Rally of Thailand. Burns, making his Mitsubishi debut in the opening round of the Asia Pacific Championship, was challenging eventual winner Colin McRae but crashed on SS8. "The back of the car drifted a bit wide on the rough stuff exiting a medium-fast left-hander. It drifted wider and wider and we hit a tree really hard. I'm all the more upset as I wasn't giving it 100 per cent," said the Reading driver. "We would have given McRae a run for his money."

Moo Noi Said

Ironic that he had such a dangerous "job" as a rally driver and then dies in other circumstances unrelated.

He is not the first Scottish motorsport champion to die in a Helicopter accident, back in 2003 Steve "Hizzy" Hislop also died in similar circumstances.

:rip: Colin

Archived