Clinton Plaza future looking better?

khunsanuk

Hi,

Last night I heard that an investment company has bought the Clinton Plaza property. They will invest a bunch of money to repair/upgrade the main building and other constructions as well as to convert the whole place into an entertainment centre.

On each of the floors of the main building there will be space for about 6 gogo bars. Lease contracts will be for 9 years.

The investors are confident it will be a success and expect the first floor of the main building to be full of GoGos by the end of the year. They also already have plans for a second level in the carpark (upstairs parking, bars on the ground floor).

As usual, I guess time will tell.

Sanuk!

This is very interesting, and I believe it was also mentioned by the Trinkster today in a column that surprisingly mentioned several on topic items.

One wonders if the investors know something we do not know. i.e., Clinton Plaza might, I say might, be included in an entertainment zone. Otherwise, it is difficult for me to understand why anyone might pump cash into a venture that potentially could go pffft in short order.

I sure hope it works out as CEP needs help.

Don't shoot the messenger, but this morning’s Bangkok Post and The Nation report that zoning has been approved. There will be three zones, and the only farang venue in the new zones is Patpong. It seems pretty clear from both articles that Nana, Soi Cowboy and Clinton Plaza (and everywhere else on Sukhumvit) will be outside the zones.

The good news is that Patpong can stay open past 2 a.m. since “…entertainment places [in the zones] can stay open beyond the 2am closing time.” The bad news: ” the Interior Ministry will step up its crackdown on venues that violate the zones”, and everyplace on Sukhumvit is outside the zones.

Perhaps the reports of New Social Order’s demise were greatly exaggerated. If so, the “Ginzer Scenario”, as I like to now call it, may still be very much alive.

[ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: Gadfly ]

Archived