thai word for awkward

aesthete

If you post the context, I'll give you the translation.

It far reaching.

Awkward to be with the Mrs mum and dad when she fucks off down teh shop or awkward leaving the plaza with a ladyboy on ya arm cause every cunt is laughing at yee in big dogs

Context, man ....context

Thanks for submitting this Website samak. It is awesome!

It is great how the Thai script is embedded in the site. Great for cutting and pasting when IM'ing, etc.

If you or anyone else know of sites comparable to www.thai-language.com that cover the languages of Japanese or Korean please let me know.

I would love to jam in an English word and get Kanji equivalents. Same for English to Hangul.

Thanks!

Hey Samak,

Thanks for the reply! If I find anything on my end I will post it here.

I am learning Korean bit by bit when I go to this Sushi place down the street from where I live. It is run by a hot, mature Korean lady. I go there a could times a week and we "bust each other's balls." It is a total laugh riot! I find I learn language really fast when I can make jokes using the language.

Although I am finding as I progess in my Thai I don't get as much forgiveness when I accidently insult someone in Thai. Oooops.

Mike

just trying to explain why I was not going to spend the night at a girl's apartment because she was sharing her bed with her 7 month preggo sister.

basically, an awkward situation.

ah, one man's awkward is another man's life objective...

so frede, what is it in this case? i wouldn't be surprised if the Thais didn't have a word for awkward, since it's so awkward admitting things might be awkward rather than just telling a harmless lie...

yimsiam

• 2 months later...

<<<à¸Âลืà¸?à¹?มà¹?à¹?à¸?à¹?าà¸?ายà¹?มà¹?ออภ(gleun mai kao kai mai ok).>>>

GLEUN MAI(f) KAO(f) KAAI MAI(f) AWK(l)

Literally: You can't swallow it, and you can't spit it out

This would translate best as: Between a rock and a hard place

just trying to explain why I was not going to spend the night at a girl's apartment because she was sharing her bed with her 7 month preggo sister.

basically, an awkward situation.

OK, Aesthete, here's my take on this:

Thais use a variety of words to express different facets of the concept "awkward", but I think that the word you are looking for is "EUT(l) AAT(l)"

This is a commonly used word that any Thai will understand, and is usually a sentence by itself.

When they say "EUT(l) AAT(l)", it is short for "ROO(h)-SEUK(l) EUT(l) AAT(l)" which usually means "I would feel awkward", but can also mean "I feel awkward".

In my opinion, that is the ideal word to use in the situation that you described above, but Thais like to use a variety of different words to describe the concept of "feeling awkward", such as YOONG(l)-YAAK(f), YAAK(f)-LAM-BAAK(l), and ROO(h)-SEUK(l) LAM-BAAK(l) JAI

I found this interesting phrase in P Sethapura's dictionary:

"He left me in an awkward situation."

KAO® TING(h) CHAN® HAI® YOO(l) NAI SA(l)-TAA®-NA(h)-GAAN TEE(f) EUT(l)-AAT(l) TAM A-RAI(l) MAI(f) TOOK(l)

Granted, this is a bit wordier and more formal than you would ever overhear in everyday conversation, (Thais like to shorten things up) but I like it because it is the first time that I have seen this word used to describe a situation rather than a feeling, and it may be wordy, but should be easily understandable by any Thai. Also, the last four words which don't really translate into English give it a distinctly Thai flavor.

So you might want to say MAI(f) AO KAP(h), EUT(l)-AAT(l) - - - "No thanks, I would feel awkward"

or you could be more humorous and indirect by saying:

MAI(f) ROO(f)-SEUK(l) EUT(l)-AAT(l) LER®, NAWN SAAM® KON YANG NEE(h)? - - - "Wouldn't you feel awkward, sleeping three in a bed?"

or even more humorous:

DEE JANG LOEI, AO SEK(l) MOO GAW(f) DAI(f) - - - "Brilliant, we can have group sex!"

Hi,

"Also, the last four words which don't really translate into English give it a distinctly Thai flavor."

Wouldn't it translate to "can't do anything right"?

Sanuk!

Yes, by itself if would, but in that context, it does not appear in the english translation found in the dictionary which was:

<<<"He left me in an awkward situation.">>>

Archived