Mid-range guest friendly in PP?

ElyEel

Hi folks.

Been to Thailand 3 times and several other asian countries (India, China etc.) but off to PP for first time in November. Plan on being there same time as the Water Festival.

I am a little interested in a little fun and wonder if you guys could recommend a mid-range, safe, decent hotel close to the night time action but not in the middle of it? Looking at say $50. IS that reasonable?

Any recommended bars/areas to visit? I don't like taking stupid risks.

Cheers

Graham

River Star is near the water, as is FCC(Foreign Correspondents Club) Which *may NOT* be Guest friendly. River Star is around $25usd, FCC around $50usd. Further in, near the action if Flaming Hotel, around $25+usd. I used to stay at California Hotel, but sadly, they closed recently.

P.S.

Near River Star is another place on the river, hell if I can remember the name now, I'll check pictures. I'd advise you to book in advance. Other than whores, there is stuff to see in Pp and around PP, enjoy the trip.

• 2 weeks later...
FCC(Foreign Correspondents Club) Which *may NOT* be Guest friendly. FCC around $50usd.

OH If you have stayed there, could you expound further about the FCC? I don't like to waste money, but I am also finding in my incipient old age that I don't like to sleep rough either.:beer:

One of the former board members, died a year or so ago, helped Flamingo's Hotel get started and many board members think he got a raw deal by Flamingo's and so they won't give any more business to Flamingos.

I have stayed there many times and prices have gone up slightly and quality has gone down slightly.

But, I recently stayed there.

Personally, I like the location. I am very familiar with the location and can walk to the river front, through a Wat (which I enjoy) in a very few minutes. I can also walk to the river passing the National Museum and many shops along the way that make and sell Buddha images, etc.

I can walk to the "new" shopping center with the Lucky supermarket and other stores, to the Central market..... short distances, no problem.

A bit advantage for me, is directly across from Flamingo's is a massage parlor with sauna and more recently some sort of fitness center which I have never used. Importantly, they have proper massage tables, cutouts for your face so that your spine is correctly aligned (I have back problems so this is important to me). The sauna is excellent, large and always very hot - also helps my back problems.

Walkabout bar is just one block away and is open 24 hours. Often I will skip the night life and get up at 4am. So, I can go there and get a cup of coffee. Several times, I have met gems at 4am and had a short time before going off for my exercise. At 5am, PP is beautiful. If you know the area, you can walk for hours past very nice parks, Wats... Aerobics classes in the parks start at 5am. Lots of nice people walking, jogging, .....

I would expect that someone who has never stayed at Flamingo might not find it as convenient, not knowing the area, as I do. So, I can' say for sure it would be as good a place to stay if you are planning a one time visit.

I stay in a Standard Room for $25. Fine for me. More expensive rooms are available.

Lastly, one of the things I like best, is if you bring a lady to your room, she doesn't get out of Flamingos until you are called and say "everything is OK".

Archived