Thai elite card Visa going tits up

waerth

But as far as I can see, the Visa, and free transport to and from the airport, are the only tangible benefits. To use the others you have to be a member of or stay at the place offering the benefit. So it's just an expensive Visa as far as I can see.

I'd like to know if there are any other real benefits, compared to a marriage or retirement visa.

Cheers

Coss

if you go through the 'benefits' on the web you'll see things like:

*24 free sessions of golf per year

*24 free spa sessions per year

*'concierce' service

*guide+fast track+limo (complimentary) at airport for intl. arrivals at bkk, cm, phuket. not sure if there's a limit per year?

*other 'discounts'

*biz connections?

*complimentary use of biz club house in bkk?

*etc

*5year visas for life (unlimited)

*one off transfer of membership to 3rd party for only 30%!

So:

*guide+fast track+limo (complimentary) at airport for intl. arrivals

*5 year visas for life (unlimited)

as none of the other looks interesting, tho I could use the concierge I suppose, "Bring me another slim and beautiful Isaan Bar Girl, this one's all worn out!"

Cheers

Coss

• 3 weeks later...

TAT passes Elite Card ball back to cabinet to decide

By: CHATRUDEE THEPARAT

Published: 19/02/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: BusinessThe Tourism Authority of Thailand board is reluctant to make a final decision on the fate of the troubled Elite Card programme, saying the cabinet should have the final say.

"As the project was born from politics, its fate should also be decided by politics," board chairman Weerasak Kohsurat, himself a former Tourism and Sports minister, said yesterday.

Mr Weerasak said the TAT would propose choices based on a recent study of Thailand Privilege Card Co (TPC), which operates the Elite Card programme for wealthy tourists and investors.

According to the study, the government would need to pay 2.43 billion baht in compensation to 2,570 Elite Card members and clear outstanding debts if TPC is wound up.

Alternatively, TPC would require a major business overhaul to increase income and control costs if it is allowed to stay in business.

Another solution would be to allow the private sector to take up to a 49% stake in the state-owned company or sell out to the private sector.

Pending a cabinet ruling, the company would be ordered to suspend all new transactions including new membership and procurement, said Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa.

Thailand Elite Card was launched by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in 2003 to attract wealthy tourists and businesspeople.

It promised fast-track immigration privileges, long-term property leases and discounts at luxury spas, golf courses and hotels. Mr Thaksin confidently predicted it would attract one million cardholders by 2008, but to date it has drawn just 2,570.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tourism/11920/tat-passes-elite-card-ball-back-to-cabinet-to-decide

TPC posted accumulated losses of up to 1.14 billion baht as of 2006.

Archived