Question about Thai Nationality Law

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your daughter has no claim on Thai nationality since neither parent was either a Thai national or had Permanent Residence status here at the time of her birth. (And if either of you subsequently gets PR status it will not affect her qualifications to apply for Thai nationality, it is the status of the parents at the time of birth which counts).

A foreigner with Permanent Residence in Thailand no longer has an actual Visa, PR is a completely different type of â??permission to stayâ? â?? hence your argument that â??all Visas are temporaryâ?Â, whilst true, does not apply.

Learning to speak Thai will be of no benefit by itself until your daughter reaches the age where she can apply, first for PR status (assuming she has lived in Thailand the required length of time) and later for Thai citizenship - Thai language capability is essential to get past both those mileposts.

Finally, simply having a Thai Birth Certificate also gives no claim on Thai nationality, it merely records that the birth occurred in this Country.

Paul

Actually the old law was much more restrictive in that both parents had to be Thai nationals in order for the child to have Thai nationality too; this is the reason Tiger Woods â?? born in 1975 â?? has no claim on Thai nationality.

I am not sure when the law was changed but it was before 1983 since my daughter was born in that year â?? my wife is Thai and I hold PR â?? and our daughter was automatically entitled to Thai nationality (as well as British of course).

Paul

Just out of interest' date='why would you want Thai nationality ?[/quote']

No particular reason at the present time, but you never know what tomorrow is made of, eh?

Just out of curiosity: How did it happen that your wife gave birth the child while staying in LOS? Was it planned? Or did it accidentally happen during a holiday?

When my daughter was born in 1991 if the father was a foreigner and mother Thai the child was not given Thai citizenship. If Thai father and foreign mother the child was granted Thai citizenship. My daughter's original Thai birth certificate states clearly (in Thai) can not be kohn Thai as well as clearly stating my nationality.

The law was changed and made retroactive but it was a real pain in her ass getting her Thai citizenship and she had to get a visa to travel and stay in Thailand including frequent visits to immigration to apply for extensions.

My son born in 1995 had no problems getting Thai citizenship.

Archived