Sarkozy says burqas are not welcome in France

Flashermac

PARIS (AP) - President Nicolas Sarkozy lashed out Monday at the practice of wearing the Muslim burqa, insisting the full-body religious gown is a sign of the "debasement" of women and that it won't be welcome in France.

The French leader expressed support for a recent call by dozens of legislators to create a parliamentary commission to study a small but growing trend of wearing the full-body garment in France.

In the first presidential address in 136 years to a joint session of France's two houses of parliament, Sarkozy laid out his support for a ban even before the panel has been approvedâ€â€braving critics who fear the issue is a marginal one and could stigmatize Muslims in France.

"In our country, we cannot accept that women be prisoners behind a screen, cut off from all social life, deprived of all identity," Sarkozy said to extended applause in a speech at the Chateau of Versailles southwest of Paris.

"The burqa is not a religious sign, it's a sign of subservience, a sign of debasementâ€â€I want to say it solemnly," he said. "It will not be welcome on the territory of the French Republic."

Just whose country does the infidel pig think it is anyway? :susel:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great that he had the balls to say that in public ,

Will Obama do the same ?

covered heads and body are one thing , but covered face is too much , plus some want to have a covered face for ID pictures too !

Amazing that the Muslims can twist the Koran to make any crazy idea the word of god

BK

Guest lazyphil

many arab and muslim women around the world are beautiful, the mingers should cover up and the beautys show off!.....i think the head scarf or whatever its called can look very alluring.

Guest lazyphil

back in the 70's i remember my mum wore a head scarf and other mums did i recall, not sure why!

these burkhas are imo a sign of defyence to the host country, nothing about enslaving women, they, the women are more or less saying fuck you.

Guest lazyphil

not me, they just look daft and i certainly dont wish to ban them wearing them.....i was going through east london on a school coach trip to the monument and london museum 2 weeks ago with my daughter and class, drove past a couple of full clad ladies in black, i over heard two lads chatting saying they looked like ninjas!!

Archived