What a way to go!

teddy

Man is killed after falling asleep on pub crawl

A drunk teacher who climbed into a wheelie bin died when it was tipped into a waste lorry.

Scott Williams, 35, fell asleep in the large bin - like the ones kept behind restaurants - after a pub crawl.

He was still there when it was emptied into a dustbin lorry and was killed by the crushing machinery.

A shocked worker spotted the body when the lorry unloaded its contents at a waste recycling centre.

He called police an hour before one of Scott's pals reported him missing.

A friend, who did not want to be named, said: "Scott loved a drink or two, but I don't know what was going through his head to have got into a wheelie bin after a night out."

The maths and PE teacher from Wembley, North West London, had gone to Brighton to drink with mates on Saturday night.

He was found on Sunday morning at the recycling plant in Newhaven, East Sussex. A postmortem showed he died of crushing injuries.

Police said: "The dustcart in which he was found was collecting wheelie bins from around Brighton. It is assumed Scott was in one of the bins."

They said he had probably crawled inside to escape the wind and rain.

Police are treating the death as unexplained rather than suspicious.

A former colleague yesterday paid tribute to Scott, who taught maths and rugby at Harrow High School and Sports College from 2002 to 2006.

Jacqueline Glazerman said: "He was a lovely man and a fantastic teacher. He was a really nice guy, easy to get on with and was great with the kids. He will be sadly missed."

The friend added: "He was a typical rugby-playing type of bloke. He was great fun but this is so, so tragic, I can't quite believe it."

Scott went to university in New Zealand before graduating as a PE teacher and coming to London to find supply work.

Guest lazyphil

typical rugby player?....big bloke then, didn't the bin men notice something odd!!!....bin men around here check bins have correct rubbish in coloured bins quite often i notice. anyway, horrible way to go.

Archived