Why pay more? Because you are in Thailand!

Mentors

Bumpkins are bumpkins everywhere. You can't really go past the zero knowledge barrier. America though, has a fiercely anti-intellectual culture. People are proud of their success but even prouder if they can accomplish it without formal education.

The thing is that the people who are setting prices at Ocean World or national parks are probably not bumpkins. So I don't get your original point.

And really, a white person in Thailand should have more money than the average Thai. Unless, of course, they have a British or Australian accent, dark tan and wearing a wife-beater. But I think Thais will pick up on that one soon.

If they haven't picked up on it already....most have, for some time now.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thais are generally less aware of their world than people from other countries' date=' even countries with similar GDPs and other objective factors. [/quote']

How about Americans? I'd like to place bets on that action.

I'm not so sure about that.

I've long held the theory that the "Americans are bumpkins" stereotype only comes from the fact that American bumpkins can afford to travel, while other countries' bumpkins generally can't.

And there's the additional factor that the US itself is a huge place/thing, so having one's worldview restricted to the US is not the same as having one's worldview restricted to, say, Sweden.

But I'm being defensive here.

As a Swede I can only agree to that. Although it is probably caused by language at least as much as the size of the country. We speak a language that is virtually useless outside Scandinavia, so if we want to travel abroad we have to learn to speak foreign languages. A minor flaw in your reasoning is that Canada is larger, although of similar size, than the USA and I have rarely met a Canadian on my travels that doesn't have a clue.

ALHOLK

Archived