Why pay more? Because you are in Thailand!

Mentors

In my experience, the "farang have lots of money" thing is true. Many have been shocked when informed that a lot of Americans and English people are poor, relatively speaking.

A lot of Bangkok Thai's do travel though...and a lot more want to/intend to.

Taxi drivers often ask where I work. Then they invariably ask how many hundreds of thousands of baht a month I make! When I tell them university pay is in the 30,000 to 40,000 baht range, they look shocked. "Why so little?" they ask. So do I. :(

Letters Thais write to the Bangkok Post also often demand the government sock it to the foreigners, since "they all" are so filthy rich. :p

Not to mention that arsehole Thaksin decided Farangs need at least 65,000 baht a month to survive here. When he said that, a colleague exitedly remarked, "That means they will have to increase our pay." Uh ... no, the govmt instead excepted teachers and journalists from that requirement for a WP. (It still applies if you want to retire here.) A Thai colleagues take on it: "Thaksin only likes rich Farangs."

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my experience' date=' the "farang have lots of money" thing is true. Many have been shocked when informed that a lot of Americans and English people are poor, relatively speaking.

A lot of Bangkok Thai's do travel though...and a lot more want to/intend to. [/quote']

Taxi drivers often ask where I work. Then they invariably ask how many hundreds of thousands of baht a month I make! When I tell them university pay is in the 30,000 to 40,000 baht range, they look shocked. "Why so little?" they ask. So do I. :(

Letters Thais write to the Bangkok Post also often demand the government sock it to the foreigners, since "they all" are so filthy rich. :p

Not to mention that arsehole Thaksin decided Farangs need at least 65,000 baht a month to survive here. When he said that, a colleague exitedly remarked, "That means they will have to increase our pay." Uh ... no, the govmt instead excepted teachers and journalists from that requirement for a WP. (It still applies if you want to retire here.) A Thai colleagues take on it: "Thaksin only likes rich Farangs."

please ask your colleagues who he thinks likes 'poor Farangs'? :wink:

To be honest, I couldn't give a fuck if I have to pay more than a Thai to get into a park or a zoo or wherever. For a start I can't remember when I was last in one of these 'places' but if I did go to one then the amount I would be charged would be a negligible amount to me. I'm certainly not going to ruin my enjoyment of the place by fretting over a few Baht.

If I wanted to save money, like in not spend the extra that I am charged to go to a zoo or whatever, then I would stay home!

Foreigners pay an inflated amount as they do not reside in the country they are visiting. If you reside in a country, you are paying taxes, maybe serve in the military, etc.

So for me, the extra amount I pay, is OK.

To be honest, I couldn't give a fuck if I have to pay more than a Thai to get into a park or a zoo or wherever. For a start I can't remember when I was last in one of these 'places' but if I did go to one then the amount I would be charged would be a negligible amount to me. I'm certainly not going to ruin my enjoyment of the place by fretting over a few Baht.

well put.

If I wanted to save money, like in not spend the extra that I am charged to go to a zoo or whatever, then I would stay home!

Foreigners pay an inflated amount as they do not reside in the country they are visiting. If you reside in a country, you are paying taxes, maybe serve in the military, etc.

So for me, the extra amount I pay, is OK.

True enough, BUT, if you tried the same shit in your home country (or USA) people, especially tourists from other countries, would bitch a blue streak about it. So while the amount is negligible, the principle stays the same. And or course, as has been stated, you can avoid it by not going to these places.

Separate note, the tax argument etc...how would you feel if you were in your home country, and the prices varied by what county you lived in? as in you live in ABC county, wanted to visit a city park in DEF county, and were charged more because you didn't pay any taxes in that county. The ridiculous principle remains the same be it here or there.

I remember my old Thai teacher/neighbor, who was from a wealthy BKK family. A bunch of us were going out, and I mentioned that Thais had to pay more, as they were the farangs, needless to say, she was pissed at the thought, and had all sorts of reasons why this was wrong HERE but NOT THERE! Other Thais have a similar opinion. Strange how it only works one way.

Archived