Prescription Eyeglasses in BKK

FreeTime

Most of my eye glasses are from Thailand. Bangkok and Pattaya.

Do shop around. Price varies.

Some shops do not have 'technician' in store and they send out to have glasses made.

I chose only stores that make glasses on site and are able to fit them. And yes, about an hour.

Some have the machine where you sit and look into it one eye at a time. Completely accurate for me. Matched my prescription.

OR just bring in old pair and they can match.

I buy lowest price frames. Most have worked perfectly for years and now decades. And the lowest price frames are not available back home so people think I have expensive glasses as they have never seen this colour/style frame before.

One early pair I purchased on Sukhumvit had the hinge break. I took glasses back 6 years later and they fixed/repaired - no charge. No receipt. They just fixed for free.

I think I paid somewhere between US $30 - $50.00 all these years. Some tinted. All scratch resistant.

I've had several prescription eye glasses made on Pattaya Central Road, just East of Second Rd. There are several eye wear shops in that area. My experience has been that if you are looking for the high end eye wear, you probably will not save much because they are probably imported into LOS and therefore are expensive. But if you are looking for just basic and plain stuff, you could save a little.

• 1 month later...
Just bought a pair of glasses from a local shop in Klongsan. Eyes tested, glasses made up and was wearing them within the hour. Total cost, 1200 baht. Can be about 5-6 thousand baht if you want titanium frames. Also if you want perfect vision bring your script from home or get the prescription done cheaply at one of the hospitals in Bangkok and take to the store. Shop around a bit and you should get a very agreeable price. No real need to go to brand name shops.

Cheers SL :beer::up:

I got a pair of titanium framed vari-focals made up at Beautiful optical on 2nd rd.If I remember correctly got em for 5400 after haggling thr price down from 6500.

They were ready in about 6hrs and I checked the price for the same frames and job in England at it would have worked out at 16000! :surprised:

Archived