Robson to become Thailand coach

Mentors

Former England and Manchester United captain Bryan Robson has agreed to sign a four-year contract to take over as coach of Thailand's national team

The head of the Football Association of Thailand confirmed the 52-year-old will succeed former England colleague Peter Reid, now the assistant boss at Stoke.

"He's very happy with what we've offered him, it's a four-year deal," said Worawi Makudi.

"The plan is he'll coach for the Asian Cup, Olympics and hopefully World Cup."

The former Middlesbrough, West Brom and Bradford boss had been away from the management scene since parting company with Sheffield United in February 2008.

He has no previous experience in international management but was linked to the Republic of Ireland and a deal to take over as Nigeria manager in 2003 broke down.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8249887.stm

Agreed here with comments, he was a greater leader as captain on the field but his managerial career has been one disaster after another. Plus I doubt I won't get to share a few beers with him as I did with Peter Ried.

They should have gone for Steve Coppel, at least he has been coming here for years!

....Plus I doubt I won't get to share a few beers with him as I did with Peter Ried.

If the man deemed you suitable enough to have a few beers with you then the least you could do is spell his name correctly! :hubba:

....They should have gone for Steve Coppel, at least he has been coming here for years!

Or Dennis Taylor? :dunno:

If the man deemed you suitable enough to have a few beers with you then the least you could do is spell his name correctly! :hubba:

Posting from a Mobi whilst wearing beer goggles, thas my excuse.

Back in the earky 80's when he was still with Bolton and making his comeback from a major injury that he made his comeback in a Lancashire League fixture where the referee jus so happened to be my father. After less than 10 minutes into his return he commited an awful challenge that was worthy of a straight red and the old man obliged. Reidy was furious and screamed " You can't send me off I am Peter Reid, who the fuck do you think you are?" The old man replied "I am the fucking Ref and when I order you off you will go off"

When I met him in BKK a few months ago I happened to bring uo this incident and he was shcked as to how I knew about this, he was in even more disbelief when I told him I was there and "The Fucking Referee was my Fucking Old Man" Had a good laugh about it and went on to consume way too much alcohol into the early hours.

Archived