why is the thai baht still strong

A_J

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The PPP government was a coalition government, why would it represent the vote of the people more then the current one? The people elected the MP's, the MP's elected the PM. That’s the way it works, except it seems when they elect a PM you don’t want. In fact the PPP coalition included a party, the Chart Thai, that campaigned they would not join a PPP coalition. Nobody said that government was not morally correct because of that.

You are dreaming if you think Thailand can continue to devlop and not have a urban migration. Name me one country that has done that.

TH

Abhisit would have been wise to use some “Thaksinism†and woo those upcountry folks as his first political priority. Had he done that, there would be no Red Shirts movement at all.

You mean like the debt relief program that was announced earlier this month? One that is actually viable, not just a handout? How about doing away with the 30 baht copay in the universal medical care? To say nothing of actually trying to make the universal medical care a viable program instead of driving hospitals to bankruptcy.

You mean those kind of things?

TH

In the village areas Abhisit has spent a huge amount on "new roads", reality was some political mates rolled 4 cm of tar on existing good roads and claimed the new road built.

meanwhile crap roads still exist.

Problem with Abhisit is he has no rural experience, and those that do in his cabinet are happy to plunder the system.

I do think Abhisit is a good guy, he is just the wrong guy for the wrong time sadly, in 10/20 years time, he'd be a great PM, when and if the thieves ever leave parliment

In the village areas Abhisit has spent a huge amount on "new roads", reality was some political mates rolled 4 cm of tar on existing good roads and claimed the new road built.

Problem with Abhisit is he has no rural experience, and those that do in his cabinet are happy to plunder the system.

I do think Abhisit is a good guy, he is just the wrong guy for the wrong time sadly, in 10/20 years time, he'd be a great PM, when and if the thieves ever leave parliment

Spot on.

And actually I think Abhisit is doing a great job handling the situation as it stands today, resisting pressure coming from all sides. SO far he managed to avoid making an irreversible blunder. His problem now is to choose the right strategy to put an end to the mess.

Abhisit and the central government are not responsible for how the local government organizations spend the money. That is why what needs to change is who the people elect not only for their members of Parliament, but who they elect to their local TAO which does control how the money gets spent. They need to start electing people that truly represent their best interest and not the ones that local godfathers tell them to or who gives them the best handout. This doesn’t change by demonstrating in Bangkok, this changes by going home and setting up their own organizations and get out from under the dictates of the godfathers.

TH

Would be nice if you could actually post without name calling, but that has always been your MO, so why change now asshole.

Who decided which roads got paved? Who awarded the contract? Who managed the contract?

Did Abhisit do that himself? Did some Democratic cabinet member?

No, it was a local person probably under the control of your local godfather. I am just amazed how you continue to blame the central government for a problem that starts at your local ballot box. It’s a shame you cannot see that.

TH

Archived